• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My tank - hopefuly for a bimac

IMG_0270.JPEG
IMG_0272.JPEG
IMG_0273.JPEG
IMG_0271.JPEG

Hi, posting my cycled tank.

Red Sea Reefer 350, 75 gallon display, 18 gallon tank and DIY refugium. I have a Tunze protein skimmer, activated carbon, gfo, ceramic bricks and multiple macroalgae and a mangrove sprout in my refugium for filtration. I built a lockable custom cover. The rocks are bonded with reef safe cement. The tank has been cycling for over 2 months now.

Here are the water parameters:
Temperature: 72F (It's actualy higher in the picture but that's because I made the dumb decision of buying a cheap crappy pump and it started heating a couple of days ago, this should be fixed when I receive the new pump I ordered on wednesday and go back to the previous temperature of 72F)
Salinity: 1.027
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate: ≈1ppm
Copper: 0ppm
phosphate: 0.25ppm
Alkalinity:161mg/L
Chlorine: 0ppm

I would like this tank to house a bimaculoides octopus and want to make sure that this setup is suitable.

Looks good! I agree with Tom to see if you can lower the temp to something closer to 65F and it will increase the longevity of your animal. The only thing I would worry about your setup is to keep an eye on the metal hinges to make sure they aren't getting rusty and the wood isn't getting soggy/moldy. You could also add a brick or two on top of the tank to make sure it is doubly octo-proof but that might not be necessary depending on the setup.

Your future octo may also enjoy a few additional areas to hide around the tank if you are able to add more rocks with areas to hide underneath. The big flat rocks are great to make octo dens out of.

Looks good! I agree with Tom to see if you can lower the temp to something closer to 65F and it will increase the longevity of your animal. The only thing I would worry about your setup is to keep an eye on the metal hinges to make sure they aren't getting rusty and the wood isn't getting soggy/moldy. You could also add a brick or two on top of the tank to make sure it is doubly octo-proof but that might not be necessary depending on the setup.

Your future octo may also enjoy a few additional areas to hide around the tank if you are able to add more rocks with areas to hide underneath. The big flat rocks are great to make octo dens out of.
Thanks, I will add more rocks for hiding places, keep an eye on the locking mechanism and find a solution to lower the temperature.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back