My Octopus Setup! what do you think?

Thales;99038 said:
Which wavemaker? There are other ways to deal with the problem. :biggrin2:

Im using a wavesea. I can try raising it or finding a place to add a siphone hole as suggested. Unless theres a better solution? In my past setup I used no check valve, but just had a small siphon hole.

Thanks!

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
mosthated;99042 said:
Thales - i made my overflows out of pvc, why is that not a good idea? seem to be working fine, and i know the outlet works as a over flow now! =) thats why i said i need a check valve.

Just to make sure we are on the same page - an overflow is a system where the water in the tank gets raised by a pump in the sump to the point where it overflows into some kind of drain. In your set up, it looks more like you built a PVC u tube which will be a siphon not a drain. It doesn't look like you actually have overflows at all, but I could be misreading the pics.

You can raise your outlet up to just below the water line, so if the power goes out you will only siphon a little water before the siphon breaks, or you can drill an anti siphon hole.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Paradox;99044 said:
Im using a wavesea. I can try raising it or finding a place to add a siphone hole as suggested. Unless theres a better solution? In my past setup I used no check valve, but just had a small siphon hole.

Thanks!

Gotcha. Definitely drill a siphon hole. I use to hate them because I thought they would significantly lower the flow our of the pipe, but they don't. I have a 1/4 inch siphon hole on on of my rigs and it works well.
I would also be lazy and leave the check valve in place.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
mosthated,

I just had more time to look at your pics. Gotcha. The water exits your tank via a siphon. Got it.

mosthated

GPO
Registered
yeah, i understand what you mean, in my mind siphon = overflow, but my tanks not drilled so i built made the siphons =) the little nipple on top is a check valve and i have a lifter pump on the way i am going to be hooking up to them, that way if there is a power outage, when the power comes back on it will make sure the siphon starts. I do however have the pump in its own chamber which probly has MAYBE a gallon of water in it so each take could hold it if worse came to worse

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Somehow I would not put it past Tony to have come up with just that idea in mind when he chose the post/name scheme. If he didn't I'd bet he would not admit to creating a serendipitously appropriate nominclature.

Latest Posts