My octo lives out of the water!

delaharsha

Cuttlefish
Registered
I dont get it. My octopus likes being above the water and has been up there for days:bugout:

Anyone ever had this situation?

He eats, and will grab at stuff I give him but does not like the water?????

Any ideas?

Hmm... well these are my suggestions. Water changes. Have the water tested by someone else with a different kit. Raise the water level so that the octopus isn't going to dry up or suffocate and die.

I have 2 different test kits....

the water is as high as I can get it.

he just started this after the lights were on more then 12 hours. I cant figure this strange bastard out.

My blue ring never acted like this. I know they like to find ways out but there is no way out for him.

All the same,you might carry a sample of the water to a reputable LFS and ask for testing: pH, salinity, nitrites, nitrates, and ammonia. This is not normal behavior.

I have sometimes wondered whether octopuses dislike certain brands of the salt used to make their salt water.

Nancy

here is a few pics

Attachments

• conv_293400.jpg
    conv_293400.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 80
  • conv_293401.jpg
    conv_293401.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 86
  • conv_293402.jpg
    conv_293402.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 66
Is this a new behavior, or did it happen soon after it was in the tank? Do you know what species it is?

I'm realizing that something that's not mentioned yet in the thread is the temperature-- maybe it's a species that wants colder water, and it's going up to escape the heat?

As has been mentioned, most of the time when we hear about octos climbing out of the tank a lot (as opposed to just exploring) it's because there's something wrong with the water, but this seems much more extreme.

Like ob, I'm wondering how it keeps from drying out and gets enough oxygen without taking an occasional quick dip.

it just started a few days ago. its been back in the water for a while today. water temp is pretty cool 74. it is a strange octo if you ask me....

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back