My Neice

#30Girl

Wonderpus
Registered
I have a niece named Olyvia (Y instead of I.) She saw my tank of squid in the living room and she wants to know all about them. What are some recources that are kid-friendly that I could get a hold of for her? I was thinking of something like a kids website or a picture book...Oh, and she is 6.:read::rainbow::roll::shock:

If she's not too squicked out by biology, there's a book showing a dissection of a giant squid called Outside and Inside GIANT SQUID by Sandra Markle. If octopus books are of interest, too, there's Gentle Giant Octopus by Karen Wallace and Mike Bostock.

That's about all I can think of that would be accessible to a 6-year-old, although there are a lot of other books with lots of pictures where you could summarize the text that she wouldn't understand, Mark Norman's Cephalopods: a World Guide comes to mind, as does The Deep by Claire Nouvian. Nancy & Colin's book has a lot of good pictures, too, of course, even though it's primarily aimed at ceph care.

I assume you don't have an actual tank of live squid in your living room, so I'm curious what you mean, too....

monty;128703 said:
If she's not too squicked out by biology, there's a book showing a dissection of a giant squid called Outside and Inside GIANT SQUID by Sandra Markle. If octopus books are of interest, too, there's Gentle Giant Octopus by Karen Wallace and Mike Bostock.

That's about all I can think of that would be accessible to a 6-year-old, although there are a lot of other books with lots of pictures where you could summarize the text that she wouldn't understand, Mark Norman's Cephalopods: a World Guide comes to mind, as does The Deep by Claire Nouvian. Nancy & Colin's book has a lot of good pictures, too, of course, even though it's primarily aimed at ceph care.

I assume you don't have an actual tank of live squid in your living room, so I'm curious what you mean, too....

Yeah, they're glass ornaments in the tank with several goldfish and one very large snail :snail:.

more books my 8 year old loved

Here are a couple of more titles.
Squids, Tentacles, one the O'Shea helped with I think it was Underwater Encounters: Squid, and several books just about Squid, Octopus, and Cuttlefish. I would look at your local library, but I get most of my son's books online. You can get books from Abebooks.com for a reasonable price.

Hope you find what you are looking for. If you find any really good books I would love to know about them. My son is constantly rereading what he has, but new ones would be great.

Well, you must also get her started on HP Lovecraft ! It's never too early ! ( I am kidding, the stuff is way too heavy for a child)

cthulhu77;136381 said:
Well, you must also get her started on HP Lovecraft ! It's never too early ! ( I am kidding, the stuff is way too heavy for a child)

Never too young for Lovecraft!
I remember when my father would read me bedtime stories:
"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh C'thulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!"
Ah, memories of the Great Old One :old:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back