My first octopus

The full moon thing is not an old wives tale when it comes to coral spawning in situ but it is unclear how it would have any effect on an aquarium. That might be a fun topic to research and go back and see how close to a full moon octos have hatched. I seem to recall that one of the two mercs was not during a full moon though.

Poe's eggs hatched, as far as I can tell, the night after the full moon. Maybe I just noticed the next night. It was close anyway. Well I just have to play it by ear. The position of her den makes it impossible to monitor. Who knows, maybe she hasn't laid yet. I am trying to convince myself of this but I think she has.

The timing of the full moon syndrome is not exact but within a day or two (sometimes a week). With the corals in the Keys, I believe (don't quote me because I am too lazy tonight to verify) it is just after the full moon in August. Dives are usually planned around it to try to watch the corals spawn. Sadly, last summer no spawning was observed by the group I know of that goes to watch. 2009 was a good spawn year and some of the transplanted corals were observed taking part, a major even in proving the effectiveness of coral nurseries and reef restoration.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back