[Octopus]: My first octopus (O. cyanea - Day Octopus)

Tank update.

Went skiing and the octopus went into hiding, came back two weeks later to the octopus under a rock and not moving.

During routine maintenance, I noticed she laid eggs!! I was delighted!

A week goes by and the situation stays the same. Woke up this morning to the video attached below 😁

Any advice on how to handle the next stages will be appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_5130.MOV
    2.1 MB
Tank update.

Went skiing and the octopus went into hiding, came back two weeks later to the octopus under a rock and not moving.

A week goes by and the situation stays the same. Woke up this morning to the video attached below 😁

I'm not sure if that species is large or small egged? If you can find that out, then check out the journals about raising babies from eggs. There aren't a lot, we can only raise large egged species in captivity, though you'll find some information on our futile attempts!

I have been trying to find the right feeding schedule, for now I feed every other day (1 red mangrove crab). In the beginning I noticed it hunting after 36 hours, which is how i decided to feed every other day.

Advice is welcome on how I can interact with it more or if i need to change the feeding schedule
It was probably feeding less in the beginning while it became acclimated. I would keep 1-2 live crabs in with it at all times. IF you can keep up with cleaning. The nitrates can shoot up in a 32 gallon pretty quickly! I'd start cycling another tank now, a day octopus will need a bigger tank. Your octo needs space to explore and stretch out, its like keeping a pet cat or dog locked up in a small kennel, permanently..
For stimulation / interaction start with putting the crabs into the tank but stuck, like the terracotta pot you have in the video you posted--if you turn that upside-down on top of the crab so that the crab is stuck inside of the pot it will make your octopus have to work out how to get the crab out to eat it which forces it to use his/her brain more. You want a lot of stimulation like that. They are very curious creatures so anything safe you can put in the tank for the octo to explore.. I did things like take apart my son's toy because it was a hollow hard plastic ball with tiny holes in it so I put a crayfish inside the ball and then the ball in the tank and the octopus can hear and feel the crayfish moving inside and had to find out how to manipulate the ball to get the crayfish out. Provide different live food options is also good for stimulating the onto's brain. also putting a few different shells/decorations for the octo to explore different patterns and colors.

Tank update.

Oh wow are those baby octopus swimming about? But how did she get fertile eggs? Did you mate her?

Oh wow are those baby octopus swimming about? But how did she get fertile eggs? Did you mate her?
Hahmlet, female octopuses will lay their eggs and brood them whether they're fertilized or not. Females can hold eggs after mating and wait until the end of life to brood them- so possibly it had mated before being caught. If they are from a "small egged" octopus they can't be raised in captivity. There are journals of attempts that might be helpful (or at least entertaining) to read.

Hahmlet, female octopuses will lay their eggs and brood them whether they're fertilized or not. Females can hold eggs after mating and wait until the end of life to brood them- so possibly it had mated before being caught. If they are from a "small egged" octopus they can't be raised in captivity. There are journals of attempts that might be helpful (or at least entertaining) to read.
Wow congrats! That's at least like 5 months of sperm storing. I guess if you get an adult female octopus, there's a pretty good chance to get a spawn.

I have always been fascinated with the ocean. After keeping a reef tank for a year, I have decided to try to keep an octopus, I will try to document to the best of my ability my experiences.

For those interested, I am currently keeping him in a fluval flex 32.5g with a bunch of live rocks with pulsing xenia's and GSP.

He has been acclimating for about 2 weeks now, he's been more comfortable around me. Below is a video of his most recent hunt.

What fish is in there?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back