[Octopus]: My first octopus (O. cyanea - Day Octopus)

I have always been fascinated with the ocean. After keeping a reef tank for a year, I have decided to try to keep an octopus, I will try to document to the best of my ability my experiences.

For those interested, I am currently keeping him in a fluval flex 32.5g with a bunch of live rocks with pulsing xenia's and GSP.

He has been acclimating for about 2 weeks now, he's been more comfortable around me. Below is a video of his most recent hunt.

Looks to be doing well - thanks for sharing! Will be interesting to see how s/he fares in a 32.5g tank. Please keep us posted on progress, eating, etc.

If you’re in the us, where did you happen to get it from? I’d love to find one! Nice tank setup also! Watched the first third of the video wondering where it was lol
I'm based in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. I was told the shipment came from an aquaculture facility in Kenya.

Thank you! the setup was done at random and changes every couple of weeks.. I hope he stays entertained lol

here's a video I made of one of his feeds (posted to youtube).

Looks to be doing well - thanks for sharing! Will be interesting to see how s/he fares in a 32.5g tank. Please keep us posted on progress, eating, etc.
I have been trying to find the right feeding schedule, for now I feed every other day (1 red mangrove crab). In the beginning I noticed it hunting after 36 hours, which is how i decided to feed every other day.

Advice is welcome on how I can interact with it more or if i need to change the feeding schedule

300g? I was thinking of a different species myself, I guess. I will research that!

32g is typically only good for smaller / pygmy type species, we've traditionally recommended cycling a 55g tank at minimum but it does depend on species.

Unusual arrangement with your LFS, @binshabib -- how did the others fare? Switching tanks can be stressful but if they are primed and the transition is smooth, all that could work. (hopefully the LFS doesn't try to resell! 😳)

This is a day octopus! As you can see they get really big! Lol

Attachments

• D76EA9D9-385A-454D-9F1B-1B119FA9B659.png
    D76EA9D9-385A-454D-9F1B-1B119FA9B659.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 31

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back