My First Octo

Phisher

Cuttlefish
Registered
Big day was today and my first octo arrived about 1:30. I ordered from MDL, they had no clue what they had and could/would not send me pictures of what was in stock. I ordered the cheapest (and hopefully smallest) one listed, as assorted octo (USA) west. I am figuring on a bimac.

I am pleasantly surprised at the size, very small, mantle about the size of my thumb and maybe 6" tip to tip. Pretty sure its a bimac but my lack of experience may come in to play, I'll post some pics for ID help in a day or two.

I drip acclimated him/her about 2 hours before releasing him/her. After a brief once over of the tank he settled on the side wall and proceeded to curl the tips of his legs up, not good I'm thinking. After about 3 hrs of this I'm very concerned, but hoping its just some shipping stress. He is periodically morphing between a neutral gray to black.

He finally moves and begins to exhibit what I would considered normal octopus behavior. Moving about the rock work. He is showing dramatic color and texture, blending in with his surroundings, very cool.

Unfortunately he arrived before his food, but I imagine he must be hungry. On a whim I tempted him with some thawed krill on a stick, to my surprise, and after a brief tug-of-war, he took it. He worked on it about 5 minutes then rejected most of it.

He seems to be very outgoing already. He shys back when someone approaches but doesn't attempt to completely hide. I will be very nervous the next few nights until he settles in.

Wish me luck!

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
:welcome: to your new octo, and good luck!

We haven't seen anyone shipped a bimac when sent a "random" octo for a while, so if it has eyespots, my money's on hummelincki.

Pix would, as always, be appreciated!

Congrats on your new octopus! Everything you describe sounds pretty normal for a first day. Very nerve-racking for the first week or so but once settled in you should both do fine :smile:

Phisher

Cuttlefish
Registered
monty;116921 said:
:welcome: to your new octo, and good luck!

We haven't seen anyone shipped a bimac when sent a "random" octo for a while, so if it has eyespots, my money's on hummelincki.

Pix would, as always, be appreciated!

After looking at some hummelincki pictures I think you are right. He Has very definite eyespots.

BTW we will call him/her Ocho.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
West Coast would be the wrong side for hummelincki (thats is, if it really did come from that area?) both species of bimac also have the eyespots so don't rule them out just yet :smile:

here is a pic of my Hummel (filosus) at about the same size you mention... http://www.open-services.com/oqtopus/imgocto4.jpg

Phisher

Cuttlefish
Registered
Here are some early shots, I'll get some closer more intrusive ones when its settled better.

There is a small network of tunnels in the rock its on that he seems to be settling in to.

Eyes and 2 arms out of the hole.

Here is a good shot of his eye spots. That gray seems to be his base color. He goes to solid black and various patterns as well. Mantle is typically smooth can become very textured when he hides. Eyes are pronounced and round typically but I've seen him make "horns" once or twice.

Octavarium

Wonderpus
Registered
If his unbroken blue ring has circles of orange surrounding it, its a hummelincki. During certain shades of the octo this will be more appearant then other times. Have fun with your octo!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
If it is Hummelincki (definitely looks like Octane) you win! I have not owned or seen a bimac but the pictures I have seen never show the spikey look that you will see when Hummelincki is on live rock. 'Tane definitely changes texture (as well as color) to whatever he is touching. Also of note, Octane likes to swim more than any of the other keeper have mentioned with other species but my only other direct references have been watching a newly introduced GPO at our aquarium (also liked to swim when young but after a year is not very active) and my Mercs who only swim when escaping preceved danger.

MsV

Blue Ring
Registered
from the pics and the description, looks like hummelincki to me. Probably quite young, from the size you give. Congratulations - they're fantastic pets!

Latest Posts