My first O. Hummelincki

The tank is looking a bit scarce of those hermits I placed in there about a week ago. Bubbles is still trying to pull a bunch of shells into the den entrance in my opinion to wall her self in. Since the tank was looking a little void of crabs I decided to give her a shrimp. She took this a little hesitantly, not wanting to leave her den. I got to see how large she's grown while she lay there munching on the shrimp in a relaxed state. It still blows my mind. She's at least 5 or 6 times larger than when I got her. She's been such an amazing animal, and I've learned quite a bit from this little creature.

I just turned off the lights a little while ago and let the tank sit in darkness for a while. I went back shortly after with a flash light to see what kind of life would crawl out of the rocks. To my surprise there were loads of little crabs and small invertebrates creeping out of the rocks. It was pretty cool.

There used to be sooooo many little crustacean like creatures in Jewels' old 40g tank. They would literally COAT the walls of her tank every night after the lights shut off. I just LOVE micro-fauna. It's one of my all time favorite things about having a saltwater aquarium. I am always amazed to see what comes out of the wood works when the lights go off. It's like going on a little safari in your bedroom lol.

I woke up this morning to the voice of my wife exclaiming how large Bubbles is and saying she's such a large octopus. I just had to laugh a little at that. I was looking up info on Cyanea and Vulgaris the other day and I asked her how she felt about a 15lbs octopus. She quickly expressed her disfavor of the idea. I asked her "Why, because it could crawl out of the tank and eat one of your dogs?"(she has two little lap dogs that would be lucky to reach 5lbs each), and we both had a good laugh over that. Well Bubbles stayed out most of the morning. She likes to sit have visible and sometimes just barely so she can see whats going on but not so that she can be seen. She just went back to her den, pulling some shells in after her a little while ago. I'm curious to know how much live food is still in that tank. I'll have to check sometime today so I'm not just assuming she's eating live food and actually starving. I think I saw at least one last night though. I was checking out my live rock last night with a flash light again. All kinds of critters kept darting in and around the rock whenever the light hit them. Interesting side not though, I think the anemones I have are nocturnal. I find that weird because I've never heard of any species of anemone being nocturnal. The reason I say this is because the majority of them open up only at night. And I also noticed this when I was in Port A. There were anemones galore on the jetties at night, but once the sun came up I was hard pressed to find them again. I thought it was just bad luck and I could find them, but the majority of the ones I did find were either partially open or completely closed. Anyways, Bubbles is still doing fine. Though her behavior is a bit different than what it used to be, she's doing fine. I'm pretty positive it's just all of the changes she's been through in the past month or so. Plus going from a reef tank with fish to just her and the stingray changed her attitude a bit.

Bubbles in her den.

Attachments

• conv_296779.jpg
    conv_296779.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
She's out and about again. She's been crawling around slowly for a few hours now. I haven't really seen her eat anything today so I'm going to offer her some shrimp.

Here are some photos of Bubbles after feeding her some shrimp.

Attachments

• conv_296782.jpg
    conv_296782.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 88
  • conv_296783.jpg
    conv_296783.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 80
  • conv_296784.jpg
    conv_296784.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 93
  • conv_296785.jpg
    conv_296785.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 84

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back