My first O. Hummelincki

She's not clinging to anything except the side of the tank. The black thing she's on in the second video is the overflow box and the thing in the first video attached to the side of the tank is a power head. The only time she's on a shell is when she swims down to the oyster shells.

This is the first time Bubbles has shown these stripes and passing cloud since I removed the fish. She's really starting to relax and enjoy her tank. I caught her sprawled out over the large rock formation at the far right end of the tank shortly before I shot this video.

What is she doing after she receives her food? It almost looks like she is picking the small snails up and eating them, but I don't think so. And what scared her at the end?

Nancy

Yes she's picking them up in what I believe is an attempt to eat them, but was already munching down a whole shrimp so she was just picking them up and dropping them. As for getting scared, I know the stingray spooked her for a second during the middle of the video, but near the end she didn't get scared. She just jets off like that from time to time. Maybe it's a sudden movement in the room that does it. I know she responds a lot to the movement outside the tank.

I got back from Port A. around 8:00pm this evening. I had 100% success in transporting all of the animals I collected. I didn't get nearly as many as I did last time, but still a decent amount. I had 0% mortality and acclimation went smoothly. The second I started placing everything into the tank Bubbles came rushing out scooping up hermit crabs left and right. She tried dragging three of them into her den, but that didn't work out so well for her. She had to leave her arms draped outside of her den holding them while she ate them. I think she ate a total of 4 or 5 before I turned the lights off. I thought that was amazing because these hermits are about the size of a golf ball each, and some even larger. The water quality of the Jetties wasn't too bad. I found a lot of different species of fish and inverts out there, but no octopus. :frown: One of my friends said he found one but it jetted off before he could catch it. I don't know if that's true or not because I didn't see anything. We saw a lot of sea turtles and even got to swim with them. It was pretty awesome.

The dead zone. AKA no crab's land.

If you look in the middle to the right of Bubbles' den, you'll see a circle in the sand where the substrate is not disturbed littered with empty shells and crab remains. Also if you look at Bubbles inside her den, you'll see the huge hermit she ate this morning(which took her several hrs to eat and I'm not sure if she's done or not) along with a few other she ate last night.

Attachments

• conv_296726.jpg
    conv_296726.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 94
  • conv_296727.jpg
    conv_296727.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 77
The large hermit she grabbed this morning is about the same size as she is. I think it would be awesome if she takes the shell and uses it as a mobile den like Amphioctopus marginatus.

I finally have the sump up and running successfully. I added about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of muddy sandy substrate on the bottom. I'm going to add some LR to cover up the pump and make it look more like an aquarium and less like a sump. I placed two dim lights on it. I'm hoping to get another O. Briareus to place in it. When Bubbles goes I'm going to try my luck with getting a male and female and place one in the sump and one in the tank. I'm still filling it right now but I'll post pictures when it's done.

I just finished washing my gear in the bathtub with warm water and while I was rinsing the sand out of the tub I saw a tiny porceline crab twitching in the middle of the drain cover. I immediately scooped it up and threw it into the biocube. It wasn't moving as it sunk to the bottom like a falling leaf. even after it landed on a rock it lay still. It wasn't until the hawk fish bit it twice that it sprung back to live and scurried off into a rock.

Bubbles was out for a little this evening. She didn't venture too far, just to the rocks outside her den. She sat perched atop the rock facing her den. Every time she crawls back into her den she pulls empty shells up to the entrance trying to wall herself in like her private little draw bridge.

Bubbles had her first experience with the scrub brush today. She always swiped at it while I cleaned, but today was the first time she grabbed it. I tried to get the camera so I could record it, but it all happened too fast. She was so overzealous about grabbing it. The second she wrapped her arms around it she freaked, jetted to the back of the rocks, and inked a good little bit. Not discouraged, she still crawled around the reef and played a little with the other end of the scrub brush. I'll post the videos when they are done loading.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back