My first O. Hummelincki

Here it is folks. At long last the picture everyone has been waiting for. I finally managed a decent picture of Bubbles. She was slightly out of the rock and I just managed to squeeze my way behind the tank to get this picture. None the less it is proof of her over all health and existence.

Attachments

• conv_296288.jpg
    conv_296288.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 99
glad ahe is still alive...i dont think the coloring is good though...not sure i have seen this color after my last octo tuck passed..hopefully others will chime in

This has been a common coloration of hers ever since I bought her. Though when I put the light on her she quickly turned black and winced a little back into her hole. I haven't tried feeding her yet. The water clouded up a little from the sand and liquid calcium I added a while ago and I'm just waiting for all of that to settle.

If you look at the pictures on post #56 you'll see what I mean. She normally exhibits this coloration when ever she is inside a rock, turning her black/brown/white mottled coloration when she is out and about. I'll see what I can do about sneaking another picture or two if she's still on the outskirts of that rock. The problem is that she's smack in the middle of the rock pile at the back of the tank and it's hard to get a good shot of her. The tank sites only about 6" from the wall. So it's not really the best area for photography.

Ok well when I went in there just now she was out and on the rocks. And just like I said, she had turned her black/brown/white mottled coloration, except it was mainly black this time. Well here are a few pictures I took. I had to take them from above the tank looking down into the water due to cloudiness. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• conv_296289.jpg
    conv_296289.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 128
  • conv_296290.jpg
    conv_296290.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 82
  • conv_296291.jpg
    conv_296291.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 82
Here you can see her foraging on the dead oyster reef I set up near the edge of the island at the back side of the tank.

Attachments

• conv_296295.jpg
    conv_296295.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 85
  • conv_296294.jpg
    conv_296294.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 127
  • conv_296293.jpg
    conv_296293.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 94
  • conv_296292.jpg
    conv_296292.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 100
Sadly though I think my movements behind the tank getting these shots scared her back into her den.

Attachments

• conv_296296.jpg
    conv_296296.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 91
  • conv_296297.jpg
    conv_296297.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 80
Now that shocked me a lot! when I saw her inside the rock with her pale green coloration, she looked small. When she was on the base rock of the island again she looked small. Yet when she was on the oyster reef, she actually showed her true size. She is now twice the size of when I placed her in the tank. Now she's almost the size of a small baby's pacifier. (sorry about the rough comparison, but I'm not good at measuring them and I didn't have a ruler in hand that I could place against the glass)

After the photo shoot yesterday, she went back into her den and hadn't come back out all night. So I eventually just stuck the krill in the hole next to her and she took it.

I had to save a snail this afternoon. I moved a pump from one side of the tank to right over her den, and the snail attached to it fell off. Of course being such an opportunistic eater as she is, when I came back she had it pulled in and trying to eat it. I took this chance to feed her some krill. This hopefully spared the snail another day.

Dinner went well with bubbles. She ate two large pieces of krill. I lured her out of her den completely by a few inches with the first piece. I just finished moving the rest of the rock around and adding some more light to the tank. The island is still incomplete but I smoothed out the sand in the aquarium portion and moved the mechanical parts around. Over all the tank is looking so much better. The moving of rocks and sand clouded the tank slightly so I'll post pictures later in the evening when it clears up again. Shouldn't take but thirty minutes or so.

With regard to pH, I'm sure you already know this but be very careful about trying to reach the ideal level chemically. In my reef tanks I never quite got to the "magical" 8.2 that people advise. If you continually add buffer you will fight this battle forever. I would advise a change, and if the pH won't stay where you want it so be it.

Note: I know nothing about ceph's and am entirely new to this myself, but quick changes are typically what harms inverts. Just trying to help.

Joe

Cephs need an 8.4 PH. Maintaining it has been a discussion in several threads. An argonite substrate helps but I have to buffer all my water to keep the PH up.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back