My first O. Hummelincki

I have him in the critter keeper for just that reason, he's so small. I'm waiting for him to get a little bigger before I let him out into my 110 tank with about 70lbs of LR. I want to be able to keep an eye on him and make sure he's eating well. Right now he's not really eating what I'm giving him and I don't have enough hermits in that tank to keep him alive very long.

I would let it out, Its more likely it will stress in such a small space and injure itself or die, as aposed to it starving. It should accept food from you fairly easy, and couldnt you target feed it?

mine never really ate hermits...i ould let him out and leave him be for a day...dont run up to tank looking at him evrey 5 mins..its worth a shot seeing that this method doesn't seem to be working... mine loved emeralds and fiddlers..the emeralds you would have better luck finding ones small enough...he doesnt look too happy in this state

The store I bought him from said they've been feeding him hermits. I put a few in with him when I got him but he didn't seem to eat them. I am using "he" until I know the real sex of this animal. Anyways I took that large rock out and placed a few small ones and he seemed to perk up pretty quickly. He's been out and about now in the light and I fed him a small piece of table shrimp and it took him a minute to figure out it was food, but took it pretty well once under his arms and ate more of it then of the krill.

Attachments

• conv_296129.jpg
    conv_296129.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 138
  • conv_296130.jpg
    conv_296130.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 141
  • conv_296131.jpg
    conv_296131.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 151
  • conv_296132.jpg
    conv_296132.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 101
Ok so this morning while I was getting ready for work I cought Bubbles walking around the tank. Now I'm not sure but from what I could make out (keep in mind she likes to keep her arms balled up and twisted most of the time) I didn't see any sign of a hectocotylus. I could be wrong, so don't quote me on this. I'll check again when I get home. Now that she's happy with her environment maybe she'll relax enough to sprawl out.

No I haven't let her out yet, and I was able to accurately sex her. She sprawled out the other day and I could clearly see all of her legs. She's a girl. And I dub her....."Bubbles" lol.

She has almost doubled in size if not more since I bought her, so I'm considering letting her out soon. She's always out crawling around every time I get home and stays out until the lights turn off. So I'm taking it as she's happy. She's not even scared of my hands anymore. Every time I stick my hands in there to feed her or pick out uneaten food, she just sits there watching me and sometimes craning her eyes. She's even touched me a few times while I was moving around in there. I am so shocked by how friendly this animal is. Especially after such a short time being with me. "Jewels", my O. Briareus was never this friendly.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back