My first O. Hummelincki

skywindsurfer;170768 said:
Thanks. She is a little looker. I'm going to have to stock up on ammunition when she is older. lol

:lol:Yes you will! My dad LOVES to show his guns off everytime we go over there! Just a friendly reminder to my fiance!! :wink:

So Bubbles is looking loads better. I fed her tonight and she colored up nicely. After she finished eating she began leasurely crawling around her tank with the lights on. Right now she's behind the rocks. I'll have to check on her to see what she's doing.

OK so I don't know exactly when this happened, but she dug another hole in the back near the right side. She was sitting in it when I went to check on her. Since then she crawled back out into the open and over to the front right corner. The lights shut off and she tucked behind a rock and has been "sleeping" ever since. Hopefully these are signs that she will start coming out more during the day and less at night like she used to. I did almost a 30% water change yesterday, and I will do a much larger one either tomorrow or Wednesday. I have to go get some more water so that I can do that.

Could her digging just be a way of her trying to escape a "poor" environment? She already tried escaping once before, and she has never even attempted to crawl out of the tank on her own. Maybe since I completely blocked her in, she was trying to dig her way out. Just a thought. I'm trying to be optimistic about her age and actions.

She's pretty much settled in for the night. She's found a nice rock with cave beneath it to curl up in. She doesn't quite fit so she's pulled a few smaller rocks in around her. lol It looks kind of funny.

Well it seems that she's adopted a crepescular(spelling?) behavior. She seems to be most active in the early mornings to just before noon and then again just before the lights shut off to a few hours after that. She looks and behaves normally when she's moving around, but it's when she's at rest that she looks old and sickly. I fed her two shrimp tonight. I think I will up her diet again to see how that affects her.

A den on the sand, gathering rocks and shells sounds like brooding behavior. Bubbles is female right?

You have had her a good long time. You are lucky, my female O. hummelincki I've had only 2 weeks is, I think brooding already.

So I've seen Bubbles do this twice now. She lays flat across the sand with her ventral side down and eyes parallel with the substrat and then stretches every single arm strait out as far as she can and holds this position for about five to ten seconds and then slowly pulls back. At first I thought she may be laying eggs, but when I check there's nothing. It's as if she's just...well, stretching.

I'll try, but like I said its not something she does regularly and it happens so fast.

Now that I think of it I did get a slight video of her the last time she did it. Check the first few seconds of the video on post #682.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back