My first O. Hummelincki

Ya I was just informed of that by one of the staff members via PM a little while ago. My wife was watching House Party 2. I'm going to try and remove the audio from it as soon as possible, but I'm not tech savy so it may take a while. I appaulogize to everyone for the language. When I played the videos back on my camera I could not make out the words so I assumed that the camera did not pick them up clearly. Guess I was wrong lol.:oops:

So while at a latin food market I was browsing the sea food section and I found two frozen blocks with an octopus in each one roughly the size of a full grown vulgaris. :frown: poor little fellas. I'm trying to find any kind of store around my area that sells live sea food in the hopes that I can find small fish or crustaceans and maybe even live octopus. No luck just yet though. Bubbles stays in that little hole she dug almost 24 seven since a day or so ago. I'm keeping an eye out for any eggs but so far nothing.

Thanks, though I don't think she was very efficient with using her suckers lol. I'm glad that she started digging while the lights were on. It was alot easier to see everything. It's too bad that she wasn't using her webbing to shovel sand like she was last night. I thought that was really awesome.

dwhatley;170371 said:
Very nice view of how they use their suckers to shovel sand as well as the beak showing at the end. Your best video yet I think.

Here you go D. I shot this specifically for you. Sorry for the poor quality. I don't have the best camera.

Very interesting, I wonder if the dark ring she shows at the end is chromatophores or transparency of the skin when the beak is hidden. If chromatophores, why would she want her beak to look larger?

While she was out of her den did you look for eggs? Maya came out a couple of times after laying them (all in the same day, possible one day after wards). You might keep a flashlight handy to try and look as I suspect she is about to brood. The eggs will not be fertile and should dissolve in two weeks or less. Maya did not come out of her den even if the eggs are gone but KaySoh (O. briareus) did both lived about the expected brood time had the eggs been fertile.

I think it's just transparency of the skin. Near the end when the tissue surrounding the beak and the beak as well slightly resemble an eye, the tissue is pulled thin. I think she either stretches it across the beak and/or pushes the beak against it. I'm not sure. I'm just throwing out random guesses here. Yes I do check everytime she moves from her den for eggs. I've check the entire aquarium but I haven't found any yet. I tried to acquir a male to breed her with so her eggs would be fertile, but I was unsuccessful. I'll still take plenty of pictures and videos if/when she does lay them. She's been digging in random places around the tank for about a week now. I guess she's finally settled into this one hole because she now spends almost every single second insid of it. I'm about to post a video that I think I haven't posted yet, but have had it downloaded for a while. It's of her leaving a hole she half dug.

That is very similar behavior to what we saw with Maya. She dug out several dens and ultimately returned to the first one but took a gorgonian that was near the last one she dug and planted it in front of the one she ultimately chose.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back