My first O. Hummelincki

Really? :frown: I was curious about trying to breed a pair of O. Briareus, but I was hoping to really enjoy this octopus. She is so beautiful and has so many beautiful colors and patterns. She's probably about an inch max in mantel length. Doesn't O. Hummelincki get larger then this?

Can you see her size well in these photos?

Attachments

• conv_296147.jpg
    conv_296147.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 103
  • conv_296148.jpg
    conv_296148.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 89
  • conv_296149.jpg
    conv_296149.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 84
  • conv_296150.jpg
    conv_296150.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 97
sorry did not know there was a eel involved...thought octo only..she will definetely be eel food..they have horrible sight and go by smell so they cant tell if its frozen or a real octo...do you have another tank? maybe you should take her back if not..

Currently it is stocked with 4 assorted damsels about 1/2" each, 1 pajama cardinal almost 1", a bird wrasse about 3"-4", a dragon wrasse about the same size as the bird wrasse, one moray eel (Gymnothorax polyuranodon I think) about 6", and a baby cortez round ray about 3" disk diameter. I want to stock 3+ small to medium octopus that are semi fish friendly but large enough that they will not be eaten by my eel or stingray. Oh and I forgot to mention my fiance's 1/2" cowfish. Does anyone have any suggestions?

No octopuses fit your needs.
:hmm:

So are you getting rid of the eel? Iv though of having eels before, but they are always trouble in some case, my friend had one that would constantly eat all of his fish even though it was well fed. It would just kill them for the fun of it, and just let them float around. I think it was a tiger eel, or something like that. And where is bubbles getting larger? arms or mantle?

Well I took out the eel and bird wrasse this morning. My fiance took them to work with her and placed them in her salt water tank. Now it's just three damsels, one cowfish, one pajama cardinal, one small dragon wrasse, and a cortez ray pup. I'm sad to see the eel go cause I really thought it was cool and he didn't mess with anything else in the tank, but I didn't want to risk it. Bubbles seems to be growing in mantle lenght, but I'd say it's more of an over all gurth.

Ok hold on. Let's get this out on the table here, and I'm not trying to make anyone look bad. The fish are my fiance's. I've been trying to catch out those darn damsels for ever now so she can take them to her work tank. I've only been succesfull in catching one. So now I have three left. I let her get the cowfish because I couldn't possible see how that would kill an octopus, and the stingray was something I've always wanted. I was orginally going for an all preditor tank, but after we bought a few fish I saw that this was not going to happen. Now I'm just slowly bringing it back to what I originally bought it for. That is an octopus tank.

Right now the top of the tank is separated by a fairly broad center brace. Right now I have the holes covered with a piece of egg crate that have fine mesh duck taped on. I know it sounds trashy but I did a very nice job and it looks very neat. the only problem is that it dosn't connect with the center brace properly and leaves a small gap in which Bubbles could easily escape. So I'm going to go to the pet store tonight after work and see if I can't find a glass top that will cover the entire tank. I have yet to find one of suitable size. Now that I've gotten ride of the two animals in that tank that I feared could harm Bubbles, as soon as I get the top I'm going to let her out and see how she does. I read online late last night that this species gets a max of 7cm mantle lenght but average around 2-3cm. :frown: I thought they got much larger. If this is true then Bubbles could very well be near the end of her life.

110 is way too small for a ray.. i had one in my 180 a long time ago and it was too small..wish i had researched earlier...my hummelincki used to wander everywhere during the day i could forsee problems if the ray is buried etc...

Well I've never owned a ray before and I was looking for the smallest species I could find. Everyone I know said that either the blue spot or cortez would be best for my tank. I know that the blue spot gets too big to fit comfortably so that's why I went with the cortez. My ray pup is only about 2-3 inches in disk size. I'll post a few pictures.

Attachments

• conv_296165.jpg
    conv_296165.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 102
  • conv_296166.jpg
    conv_296166.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 106
  • conv_296167.jpg
    conv_296167.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 114
  • conv_296168.jpg
    conv_296168.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 114
they are definetely awesome.. eat right outta your hands..jealous that you get beautiful specimens so darn small..blue spots are not nearly as hardy as the cortez so in that sense you made a good choice..mine was always out searching for food they are little piggies...good lucki have wanted almost every "cool" animal in saltwater. i tend to keep one at a time instead of all at once keeps ya interested in the hobby..keep posting pics and keep us updated

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back