My cuttles

craigl

O. bimaculoides
Registered
I figured i should start a photo journal of my cuttles...I also just like to show them off cause they are so cool hahah!
here is Waldo (paradox suggested that name and i guess it stuck)
wheres-waldo-.jpg

anther shot of Waldo..I really think he likes getting his picture taken. Everytime the camera comes out so does Waldo.
Waldo-pushups.jpg

Here is the Danny and Waldo ( I believe they both wanted the same shrimp and started playing a little rough with each other)
Cuttle-pair.jpg

craigl

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Well as an experiment i moved the harlequin filefish in with the bandensis pair. So far so good they have been inquisitive of the new tank mate but have not bothered it at all. Ill keep you all posted on how it goes.

Id like to add this note:

I know while back I posted success with keeping a few fish with my bandensis. Ive recently found this not to be successful. I think the reasons for this are that my current Bandensis are much larger and healthier due to different foods Im using and tank conditions. If you are feeding your bandensis well, I would imagine that once they get big enough they will eat your filefish. Im just adding this as a warning, because mine have eaten a lawnmower blenny and a foxface that were much larger then they were.

craigl

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Paradox;115134 said:
Id like to add this note:

I know while back I posted success with keeping a few fish with my bandensis. Ive recently found this not to be successful. I think the reasons for this are that my current Bandensis are much larger and healthier due to different foods Im using and tank conditions. If you are feeding your bandensis well, I would imagine that once they get big enough they will eat your filefish. Im just adding this as a warning, because mine have eaten a lawnmower blenny and a foxface that were much larger then they were.
Somethings will have to be learned the hard way....I plan to just go with it and see what happens. Only way to make advancements in the hobby is to try new things and fail or even better succeed :smile:
How long did the foxface and LMB last once added to the tank?

LMB lasted about 30 seconds heh. Then I though that it was due to its body shape. (Long and slender) My friend was getting rid of a foxface. I have bubble algae, so I thought Id try since it was large. The foxface wasnt directly killed, but the next day it had a mark then showed it got munched on. It later died that day.

My bandensis are all 3-6"s, so they are big!

craigl

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Well the intesting thing with the filefish is if you watch the way the fins move it is remarkably similar to a cuttle just flipped 90 degrees.(No idea if that has any relavence to it coexhisting peacefully thus far) They have been in the tank together for a little while. My cuttles are now 3-4 inches give or take. When the fish was first introduced they hid a lot but they are now coming out more and they dont even seem phased by it being present.

It could be similar to octopus where the answer is... It 'depends' on the individual animal.

I just wanted to put my experiences out to inform people that it is a definite risk.

craigl

O. bimaculoides
Registered
Yeah i welcome all personal experiences, info, and even irrational thoughts haha! It is just something i had to try :smile:
were they captive bred? If so how old were they? how long were they in the tank before introducing the fish? what size tank? were they taking frozen/prepared foods? Any info would be great!

All my adults are captive raised. Age 6-11 months. The Blenny was eaten by a 6 month old. I suspect the 5-6" 11 month old may have gotten tot he foxface. The only captive bred I have are at the hatchling stage.