• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

My 90 gallon Octo Tank (Work in progress)

I found some, I had to search "live rock" and then "general". When I put in like "live rock aquarium" or "live rock lb" I got either none or like 2-3 results.. I found /some/..

Side Note: I now understand what "frags" of corals are... :smile: (Just looked it up)

Hmmm, I always thought a wet/dry included bioballs, which I don't have. I felt like the filter sock with the carbon was needed from what others have told me.

If you didn't know, (not sure if I posted) I'm scrapping the custom filter trays idea.... so that's not being used.

Edit: I did post before about it.

yes, part of the wet dry system is the bioballs, what i mean is your using your bioballs because they have alot of surface area and that allows the bacteria to grow to help filter your system. liverock has far greater surface area than bioballs so if your using alot of liverock it is doing ths same thing ONLY BETTER! (allowing bacteria to grow to filter your system) the problem with wet/dry filters is they get gummed up and actually create nitrate problems. so your always dealing with nitrates and trying to dilute them with water changes. a good refugium removes nitrates! your system is almost maintinace free (i still recommend regular water changes) the filter sock helps remove larger debris before it can be broken down. the filter sock is a good idea. i have never used carbon so i dont know, however i have heard only good things about it.

If you've got the space, time, and vehicle, you can sometimes get a great deal on part of a system (live rock for example) by buying a complete system used from craigslist, keeping the one thing you want (live rock) and selling the rest again. I wanted an odd shaped tank recently, but only the tank. I bought the whole system, and sold the live rock and skimmer (which I didn't need) for the same price I paid for the whole thing, and so got the tank and stand for a net zero. It was a hassle to keep the live rock alive for three weeks until I found a buyer, but if you've got more time than money, find a good deal, and are willing to take a little risk, then it can be a good way to go.

I'm not using bioballs though is what I'm saying octomatic.. I know I showed them in the original post but I'm not using them any longer... I'm not using a wet/dry system (that I know of) besides the filter sock.

ok my mistake....i thought you were having the water drain through the filter sock into the rubbermaid container and back to the main display. please understand that i am not trying to be rude, only helpfull. its hard to convey tone in typing. im just trying to understand how you are plumbing your tank

Sorry, I don't mean to be snappy either, haha. I'm having it go through the filter sock, protein skimmer, and then back to the tank.. I may also have a fuge depending on if I can set it up. (It's not a rubbermaid container but it appears to be, haha. It's actually a basket "protector")

you can make a simple sump with a refugium using a glass fish tank and then making "baffles" out of acrylic.

what are you using....i guess i just cant picture it. i tryed to upload a pic of my sump but for some reason its not working.

Oh.. I get what's happening.. you keep referring to the "rubbermaid" container which is the three-drawer one. In one of my original pictures I had a large container with toys and stuff in it; that's what I'm using as my sump, not the three-drawer Sterilite container...

:grad: it all makes sense....sorry about that. your sump would work fine, however. if you wanted to make a refugium you would need another tank. you could probably do this for less than $75.

Well yeah it should, haha. You seemed like you stayed on the Sterilite container idea even though I wasn't using that. Why can't I make a refugium section in my sump?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back