• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Mr. Squiggles - A.aculeatus

Very cool guy. Just dont know what he is.

DSC02404.jpg

thank you guys

I have no personal experience with this, but I'll take a wild and unreliable stab at it based on what others have said in other threads. I see purple edges to the suckers and a brownish tinge to the skin. I'm going to guess O. briareus. A picture of the mantle and from the other side would be very helpful, as well as size.

Just to help you understand the ID:

Physical aspects of a male octopus:
- Looking at your first photo note there are several enlarged suckers
- In the second (and you will notice it in the first) you will see a curled up arm. That should be the third arm to the right (clockwise) but the arm positions are difficult to enumerate in the photos (and with Puddles, my octo, all but impossible to determine all the time due to his crazy arm movements).

Species Aculeatus
- color and small frame, arm to mantle ratio about 5:1
- purple lining on suckers (also true of hummelincki/filosus)
- Neogonodactylus (darn it Roy couldn't you have used just Mantis - spelling that kills me) and Muctopus have studied this complex in situ and in lab for years

Additional observations for you to watch for
- A star pattern around the eye
- Little horns to appear over the eyes.
- Wonderful skin Patterning - Muctopus' avitar is another look for this animal. Check out some of her video for this species (try YouTube search huffard aculeatus)

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back