[Octopus]: Mr. Ocho (O.Bimaculoides)

Sorry for the long delay!

Mr Ocho is doing great. He is very busy and active.

Some days more than others and some days he seems to exhibit more exploratory/escape behaviors than others. This seems to be a direct correlation to hunger and leaving to find food.

He switched his den again and has now taken up the coffee mug as his residence.

20191210_165633.jpg

Yes, we have tried the 'crab in jar'
The first time it took days (we also fed him on the side) to open. The second it only took a few hours. It seemed the second time he knew what to do as he was latching onto the jar much differently.

20191216_104006.jpg

His size has gotten much bigger.
I should probably say 'her' and 'Mrs' Ocho, as I am pretty sure it's a female. When she goes on the glass it's pretty easy to see the size of the legs, and the third leg to the right doesnt look much different or shorter than the rest.

Last week while putting my hand in the tank, the octo darted at me. I was nervous so I pulled back. :lol::lol: I ended up letting him touch my hand. Not what I expected! When he touches me it's like fly tape getting stuck on me! Ultra sticky!

Lastly, I fed him some shrimp on a stick yesterday and he didnt want to let go of the stick. He started walking around the glass pulling it and swimming with it. Problem is the stick is too long and sticks out of the tank. I ended up reaching in and breaking it off so he can have it. He took it to his den.

20191220_160323.jpg
20191220_160326.jpg

Here is a good pic of of the Ocelli
20191220_160338.jpg

Def bimaculOIDES

20191202_094126.jpg

Sorry for the lack of updates! To say things got a little nuts around the world since would be an understatement!

Mr. Ocho, despite living in "Westchester NY" the former Covid epicenter of the world, is doing just fine. And all of his "family" are also, fortunately, doing well.

He was a bit lonely during the shutdown here as our office was closed for three months, but he was fed, tank tended and kept happy.

He is still playful and joyful, although just this week he seems to be much more less wanting to move from his cup. It's possible Mr Ocho is actually Mrs Ocho as for the first time a barricade is being constructed in front of the cup. I havent seen any evidence yet of eggs, however, I do suspect that is what is taking place.

Mr. Ocho has grown tremendously, and likes to swim or walk around the tank and then squid shoot to the other side. He also likes to jet upwards and come parachuting down to the bottom of the tank.
Opening the lid is always an adventure as he loves to try and get his tentacles out of the tank. Peeling them off and trying to fling them back in is always a charm.... and still to this day, any feeding stick that he gets ahold of must be broken off and dropped into the tank as there is no way to get him off. We have seen him hold the stick and his ceramic mug and if we pull the entire mug starts to lift off the ground.

It's almost feeding time so let's see if he is up for eating or if this new day-2day trend of mug dwelling is more than just that.
20200319_112012.jpg

Till next time!

Attachments

• 15961206679796043045559023361002.jpg
    15961206679796043045559023361002.jpg
    497.8 KB · Views: 218
As suspected. Mr. Ocho has not come out to play or see what's going on. I assume she has brooded in the mug. She took a piece of scallop after barely reaching a few times but I'm not sure if she ate it, or just took it to collect or to make me go away. :-(

Still no movement from Mr Ocho.

Hes in his mug just retracted inside. When you go down to the glass by by him, he moves around in there, but doesn't come out. :-( sadly I presume the end isnt far off. Tomorrow is tank cleaning day, so we will see if he comes out to inspect the scraper as usual or if he stays inside during the whole thing. I suspect the latter.

Well, that day arrived....

After months of not eating and never leaving the mug, Mr. Ocho passed through the Octo gates and is in octo heaven.

We were lucky enough that he never left his mug and easily viewed the entire time. Just in the mug, half closed with shells, breathing away and wiggling his arms all over. We tried many times to offer food but he wanted nothing to do with it. It seems truly amazing that he lived as long as he did without eating but he obviously had transitioned into another stage of his life.

He passed away over the night last night and we found him in the morning. It was also amazing once we scooped him out how small he actually squished down to in the net.

I want to thank everyone again and all involved in the bimac efforts. @tonmo ! We really had a lot of fun watching this guy and feeding him and interacting. It's a shame it doesnt last longer but that is life. Right now our 200 G tank is empty except for a few crabs lurking around like an army so who knows that the next will bring. Maybe another octo! Never know.

Thank you again.

Wow @Spinelli1 - you did a great job raising Mr. Ocho, and I'm so glad you maintained a journal with the community. TONMO is the best place to document and memorialize your efforts -- I appreciate your contributions, and hope you will consider another, and share your learnings! At every TONMO event, one scientist or another will pull me aside and thank me for the forums, because as scientists, they appreciate how hard they are to keep, and the learnings from the hobbyist community advances their knowledge by a lot. Thank you for being a part of that!

I know I can speak for everyone when I say we really appreciated reading and learning about Mr. Ocho with you! Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience with us!

Well, that day arrived....

After months of not eating and never leaving the mug, Mr. Ocho passed through the Octo gates and is in octo heaven.

We were lucky enough that he never left his mug and easily viewed the entire time. Just in the mug, half closed with shells, breathing away and wiggling his arms all over. We tried many times to offer food but he wanted nothing to do with it. It seems truly amazing that he lived as long as he did without eating but he obviously had transitioned into another stage of his life.

He passed away over the night last night and we found him in the morning. It was also amazing once we scooped him out how small he actually squished down to in the net.

I want to thank everyone again and all involved in the bimac efforts. @tonmo ! We really had a lot of fun watching this guy and feeding him and interacting. It's a shame it doesnt last longer but that is life. Right now our 200 G tank is empty except for a few crabs lurking around like an army so who knows that the next will bring. Maybe another octo! Never know.

Thank you again.
I'm so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing Mr. Ocho's story here-- I really enjoyed reading it <3

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back