• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

moveing into a new tank..please help??

ok, so I have a situation of sorts.

I just found out that my "dwarf" octo is actually an O. Vulgaris.

So that means upgrading to a bigger tank.

Well, I only have so much room in the house for it, so the new tank has to go in the same space as the current tank he is in.

How bad would it be to dimantle his rocks and move the tank to a temp spot? Seeing as he is only a week into being in the tank in the first place, I do not want to stress him out too much.

But I need to get the bigger tank cycleing and plummed into the larger system. (the refugium and 150gal I have.)

I work at an Aquarium store, so live rock and new sand is not a problem, I will be useing existing sand from the 150 to seed, and of course, the water will be from the bigger system in line.

I guess I am just worried about Creeper being moved around so quickly after getting here.

So any suggestions would be apreciated.

I don't think you have much choice! What we do to move them is place them in a large bucket with some of the tank water, some cover (pipe, small rock, weed) and a good lid, move the tank add the contents of the bucket plus some dinner, then leave it alone with the lights off until things settle.

Good luck

J

Jean;94476 said:
I don't think you have much choice! What we do to move them is place them in a large bucket with some of the tank water, some cover (pipe, small rock, weed) and a good lid, move the tank add the contents of the bucket plus some dinner, then leave it alone with the lights off until things settle.

Good luck

J

thanks!
I got creepers from people I trust, and they are actually friends of mine, but at the same time, I am a little put off that they did not find out what species it was before they got it. ( I had another friend go directly to their supplier for the info)

It puts one in an uncomfortable position...keep an animal in a smaller tank, or force cycle a new tank with aged rock,sand, and water.

We also do not see Creepers eating at all, and he barely puts his tenticles out to search for food any more either.... I will be very upset if this wonderfull animal does not survive all this tank crazieness.

I will have to search for an octo breeder one of these days I think. :smile:

Anyways, thanks for the tips!!!

cheers!
Geoffrey

gravesly;94605 said:
thanks!
I got creepers from people I trust, and they are actually friends of mine, but at the same time, I am a little put off that they did not find out what species it was before they got it. ( I had another friend go directly to their supplier for the info)

Don't be too cross with your mates, it's hard to ID octopus unless you're an expert like Steve or Roy and most suppliers have no idea either.....be cross with the supplier! 9 times out of 10 the supplier will give you the wrong ID or just a useless one, "small brown octopus" springs to mind!!!! :lol:

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back