• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Monterey

lukeos5

Hatchling
Registered
Man, that's horrible! Why the heck would anyone want to do something so cruel? I've worked at a few zoos, and there was a similar incident at one where someone tried to steal two Golden Eagles, and instead wound up killing and ditching them on the zoo side of the fence. Anyhow, I hope you're able to have a good time and learn something depite the murders. I'm looking forward to hearing about it.

I have never understood why people do things like the vandals did... But then there's a lot that people do which I can't understand....

Anyway I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and have had the pleasure of visiting the Aquarium... I've been to the one in Baltimore and the one in New Orleans and the one in Monte Carlo. I think Monterey is the best that I've seen. I'm also a friend of the public relations officer there, he's a great guy, I got to know him through our alpaca raising, because he and his ex used to raise them.

I'll check on the cuttlefish status, I certainly hope they didn't go.
I think one of the most intriguing critters I've seen there though was the "predatory tunicate" which looks like a translucent pacman on a stick that is attached to the coral. This was part of their "mysteries of the deep" exhibit, and you can see it on line now, as they no longer have it at the aquarium...

http://montereybayaquarium.com/efc/efc_mbh/dsc_about_life.asp

Check out the "habitat" link there is a video there of tunicates and soft coral.

See ya later! :smile:

Squid Queen

Cuttlefish
Registered
I remember spending about an hour in front of the Cuttle exhibit with a sketchbook and drawing cuttles. Boy did I get some weird looks from people. : laughing:

erich orser

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Alas, the cuttle exhibit is no more. Like a lot of aquariums, they have gone totally region-specific in their menagerie so the chambered nautilus are gone now as well.

Could you imagine if the San Diego Zoo decided to go with this approach? "Here we have the feral cat enclosure. Look at those vicious tabbies! Next are the two mangy coyotes, and down in the nocturnal exhibit beside the raccoon environment you'll find our newest special exhibit: Possums! Pouch Rat of the Cul-de-sac!"

Squid Queen

Cuttlefish
Registered
erich orser said:
Alas, the cuttle exhibit is no more. Like a lot of aquariums, they have gone totally region-specific in their menagerie so the chambered nautilus are gone now as well.

Could you imagine if the San Diego Zoo decided to go with this approach? "Here we have the feral cat enclosure. Look at those vicious tabbies! Next are the two mangy coyotes, and down in the nocturnal exhibit beside the raccoon environment you'll find our newest special exhibit: Possums! Pouch Rat of the Cul-de-sac!"
I thought the point of zoos/aquariums was to see animals you don't normally see! I mean, okay, with aquariums, it's sort of given that you're seeing things you don't normally see...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak