Molly - A. aculeatus

CALLING ALL EXPERTS!!!! this means you "D"
based on the video what is the sex of my octopus?

best watched in 1080p HD

LOL, Roy and Mucktopus are the experts for octopuses, I am just a tag-a-long hobbiest. However, Crissy only comes up for air on occassion and Roy stays busy with his mantis, mating projects, blue rings and students so I will have to do tonight. Be forwarned that my initial guess on sexing is often wrong with my own lot.

Given that we rarely see males and I did not see an indication of it being male I think your spouse has legitimate naming rights (this species and the little macropus from the same area move around so much it is always hard to watch their arms). Very often the females are ready to lay eggs when we get them but so far this year they are looking younger. Her color looks good and I don't see the tell-tale enlarged mantle so hopefully she is fairly young and won't brood for awhile.

well i need to do a water change today as part of my 10% every other week routine. im wondering though since i have 0 nitrates should I put it off for a week (to let my octopus settle in) or should I just do it. I just dont want to freak her out with me messing with the tank too much.

In a well established tank, I usually wait a week to change water and stir up the sand (sometimes 2 weeks on the sand) but your tank is newly established and the new bioload can be disruptive. I would suggest doing the water change but not tank cleaning this time to maintain stability. What you don't want is for something to change quickly and have to react.

i dont stir up the sand that much, i use a gravel vac but i only get the larger debris and i dont really touch the sand. (thats what the hermits are for:biggrin2:) i just changed the water and i tried to be carefull not to scare molly. she hid in her den during the whole process, but came out later and danced on the front glass. heres my step by step water change: my 5 gallon bucket it premixed and ready to go from the day before. i clean the front and two sides of my glass. i use my gravel vac to clean all the big chunks off my sand to keep it looking pretty. then i remove the water and add the new water in through my sump. its a pretty easy process and takes about 15 mins. should i be a little more invasive?

Should I be a little more invasive?
Yes, I suggest a more aggressive approach starting with stirring your bottom substrate or you will start building nitrates. I usually do this with my hands (not great for the hands) and place the siphon close to where I am stirring. The snails won't take care of it and they poop too. Also, it helps to blow off your rocks with a turkey baster to get as much waste water born (and sucked up with your siphon or exiting to your filter) as you can.

Attachments

• conv_298134.jpg
    conv_298134.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 106
quick question....im going to pick up some chaetomorpha today to put in my sump, i was wondering what since i only have 1 timer on my powerstip should i run my refugium light at the same light cycle as my main tank or should i run it ALL the time?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back