Molly - A. aculeatus

I wouldn't be keeping octos if I hadn't found Tonmo. Sometimes I'm not that great at keeping up with journaling and posting, but I can;t count how many times I went back to check my own journals for something, let alone being able to get help from others! Thank Cthulu for Tonmo!!

i fed molly a fiddler for mothers day (she actually ate it) shes still going strong and tending to her eggs. im not sure when they will hatch but it cant be long. is there are discernable sign on the eggs that could show that they are close to hatching. right now it looks grey-ish and i cant see any other details.

ok, i saw the tiny black dots on the eggs today. they are super small and hard to see. i guess that means they will be hatching soon

sorry for not updating, ive been super busy. molly eggs hatched on thursday, I tried feeding artemia (all other foods were just too big)but i couldnt tell if they were eating or not. THEY ARE SO TINY! bummer news, they are almost all dead. a few are swimming around near the surface, but i think they will die soon. its really sad......Also, molly hasnt left her den since her babies hatched. will she die in there or come out and then die?

Will she die in there or come out and then die?

I have seen it happen both ways but have not kept a post brood female aculeatus. What I have seen most often is a "final walk" where the female will be obviously senescent and disoriented and amble about the tank on her last day but return to her den (or a corner of the tank) to die. Often they will position themselves near a water return or power head and I suspect the difficulty in breathing accounts for this positioning. It is likely that you will see her breathing heavily now if you can see her in her den.

molly died today, i had her for a total of 61 days. she lived for 11 days after all of her eggs were hatched. Im sad to see her go....

actually she came out for a few days and explored the tank a bit. then she kept moving to different dens and digging under rocks and staying the night there. she must have came out one last time at night because i found her dead in the back of the tank in the morning, kinda in the middle-back against the glass. she was all balled up with cork screwed arms

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back