• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Missing suckers?

AuroraVK

Blue Ring
Registered
Hi there -

I just noticed this tonight. Moriarty has been eating and was super playful tonight, but I noticed it looks like he is missing suckers and it seems to be black-ish around the base - I think I would have noticed this before because of the dark rings around them, but I’m not 100% sure. I read what I could on here and didn’t really see anything similar.

AFD3C319-6B27-4F12-8F65-1CC5922124F7.png

Any thoughts?

No, there are no known meds for octopus as far as I know? As long as he is still eating leave it alone. Maybe someone else experienced this? Thanks

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Any new developments on this, @AuroraVK?

Here's a post from an older journal (2017) where @Kcraun76 is reporting missing suckers on their O. vulgaris:

AuroraVK

Blue Ring
Registered
Hello! I did read that article before asking my question, but Frank's looked a little different than Moriarty's. That said, Moriarty seemed to be good but tonight he was kind of being weird, he wasnt as graceful as usual though he was very active. I think he’s still eating but he catches live so it’s hard to tell if he ate tonight or not. I read on here that when males age they start to act “senile” - what does that look like? Hopefully I’m just being paranoid but he seemed out of sorts tonight

AuroraVK

Blue Ring
Registered
I read about it last night until late and I think he may be getting senile. I double checked all my parameters today and they are all good:
Ph: 7.6
Phosp: .03 with Salifert tests
Nitrite/chlorine: 0
Nitrate: <10ppm
Temp: 56.9-57.5
Salinity: 35ppt (adjusted for 77 degree water)

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Senescence? I'm sorry if that's the case. Colorless appearance is a common sign.

Latest Forum Posts