miscellaneous cranchid squid dump

hello, i find distinguishing the different cranchids nearly impossible, here's a bunch from various dives that i don't think have been identified beyond the family level. first up is a short clip from the rebikoff foundation. they mostly dive around the azores so far as i know, so it'd be central atlantic. not sure what depth, but probably < 1000m since i think that's the max depth for their sub.

Attachments

• cranchidae_1080p_0.mov
    4.1 MB
Last edited:
this one is off the oregon coast, part of this schmidt expedition.

Screen Shot 2022-01-03 at 6.57.11 PM.png

Upvote 0

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Site Owner
In the last one, the video is slightly grainy, but that tuft above the eyes does appear to be a cluster of tentacles... it's amazing how it seems to use the tentacle clubs (or something) as a kind of lure like the angler fish... amazing stuff. I've grabbed a moment where the cluster seems to dissipate and you can see the tentacles themselves:

1641300469458.png

Upvote 0
here's another one i'm not sure about, near the great barrier reef. asked fernando fernandez-alvarez and his guess was most likely teuthowenia but couldn't confirm a genus from the footage. (yes, this occurs in the same segment as the ram's horn squid observation)
Screen Shot 2022-01-05 at 12.24.12 AM.png

Upvote 0