MiniCons: Gainesville, GA - Kooah's Hatchlings

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
I mentioned in Kooah's thread that I gave an open invitation to members of the Atlanta Reef Club to "come and get it" if anyone wanted to try to attempt to raise a few of Kooah's young. No one on the forum (present company excluded) keeps any kind of ceph and I didn't really expect much interest. Much to my surprise, I have had several inquires and will record all takers in this thread.

I have asked anyone taking the hatchling to please join TONMO, read some of the articles and journal their experience.

Shrimpy Brains

First to brave the new world, Amy (TONMO Shrimpy Brains). By internet and interest happenstance, she has communicated with LMecher on numerous occassions on other forums :razz:

Attachments

• conv_296470.jpg
    conv_296470.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 189
  • conv_296471.jpg
    conv_296471.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 161
  • conv_296472.jpg
    conv_296472.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 160
  • conv_296473.jpg
    conv_296473.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 148
Yes, I certainly remember her :smile: I posted some photos of Ollie and she commented w/some questions. This will be her first octopus? So nice to put a face to a name. I really hope she joins Tonmo and we all can follow along with the babies progress.
This thread put a big smile on my face, thanks for sharing :biggrin2:

Is it Shrimp Brains or Shrimpy Brains?

edit: I reread, oops, already joined, hope she journals on Tonmo!

Good catch on my typo Linda, please continue to keep me honest. I type quickly but sometimes the brain and the fingers don't connect correctly. I am amazed and how many typo's I see in my own posts.

Slayers911

Another taker for my Gainesville area "come and get it offering" this evening from Jefferson, a town close to Athens (home of University of GA). I tried putting only 2 octos in the small containers last night (since only 3 survived last time when I put 4 in each) and oddly, only one was alive in each. One of the dead might have suggested predation but I can't tell, the other had no clear signs but both were more obviously dead than the others I have found (milky coloring and dull eyes).

At least three of the little guys in the tank with the foul smelling egg white are still alive and several like to congregate under the ammonia checker that is sitting on the substrate. I showed the easily found ones to Greg and his wife by lifting the plastic card and as I removed my hand he quickly mentioned that one was attached to my finger. The little guy just would not release my finger so Greg got a quick lesson in using my camera and he took got a couple of good pictures. I posted two of them here but the best picture will go in the hatchlings thread :sagrin:

We captured two more from the main tank (Greg held the red flashlight while I turkey basted) and I sent them home with four.

Attachments

• conv_296480.jpg
    conv_296480.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 200
  • conv_296481.jpg
    conv_296481.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 183
  • conv_296482.jpg
    conv_296482.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 216
D, just checking because I already knew the name and I wanted to make sure my mind wasn't failing me. (it does sometimes)

Miss. Shrimpy Brains, You look great, I hate posting photos of myself too. If you become a supporter you can see a photo of me. I finally got enough courage to post one.

Lmecher;156554 said:
D, just checking because I already knew the name and I wanted to make sure my mind wasn't failing me. (it does sometimes)

Miss. Shrimpy Brains, You look great, I hate posting photos of myself too. If you become a supporter you can see a photo of me. I finally got enough courage to post one.

lol I might have to do that!

Ayveq

The final taker on "my come and get it" ARC posting was able to come by after work today (1.5 hr drive :goofysca:). Susann was going to come by yesterday but the ones I had pulled for her did not survive in the footbath with air stone. I could only find 4 last night and one evaded capture 3 times before no longer being visible so I was only able to retrieve 3. This time I used the tiny tanks to hold them but used only birthing tank water. I also used tank water for her trip container (wish I had done this before) and things went more smoothly. Susann has been reading since first contact and has started her adventure jounal with a successful transfer to her rearing tank.

Unfortunately, after leaving the camera intentionally in plain view, I almost forgot to take a picture. I remember just as she was leaving so all you get to see is the container wrapped in a car protecting garbage bag, and Susann of course.:oops:

Attachments

• conv_296506.jpg
    conv_296506.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 138
Lmecher;156841 said:
Wow, a lot of women octopus keepers, that's good to see :biggrin2:

I was thinking that very thing. I would have thought it would be a lot of men but I am finding its more and more women.

On my other reef forum to most of the men this its a waste of time. The fact that they die after such a short time is the major turn off I have found. Obviously not all men think this way, but most found them interesting and cool to watch but didnt want to deal with the constant loss.

On my other reef forum to most of the men this its a waste of time. The fact that they die after such a short time is the major turn off I have found. Obviously not all men think this way, but most found them interesting and cool to watch but didnt want to deal with the constant loss.

:lol:If you would have asked me before you made the statement, I would have said that would have been the attitude of women more than men. I think we (sex not at all significant) are just a bit different than the typical (if typical can be used here) SW aquarist.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back