• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Mimicry

GPO87

Sepia elegans
Staff member
DWhatley;189123 said:
Yes, Aaron, I did think that was a good paper (check my initial post :wink:)

Haha, I guess great minds think alike. (I was wondering why no one had posted it... turns out I just need to learn to read a bit better)

Thales;189128 said:
The Jawfish is a Mimic? We called it opportunistic mimicry because that is what the jawfish seems to look like all the time.

Even if it looks the same all the time, if it is changing its behavior to match the octopus, could that be considered mimicry? Behavioral change rather than morphological? In fact, few animals can change their morphology to mimic others. I'd be willing to say that quite a few mimics are at least in part behavioral mimics.

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
cephbirk;189154 said:
Even if it looks the same all the time, if it is changing its behavior to match the octopus, could that be considered mimicry? Behavioral change rather than morphological? In fact, few animals can change their morphology to mimic others. I'd be willing to say that quite a few mimics are at least in part behavioral mimics.

What is the difference between hiding and mimicry?

gjbarord

Sepia elegans
Staff member
Hmm... Interesting paper, thread, and video. I haven't worked with jawfish in a while, but do they usually stay in only one shelter or do they move about and make more shelters throughout their lives? How large are their "territories"? I'm just wondering about the adaptiveness of this relationship. How often do mimics come around a jawfish shelter? How often does s jawfish use the mimic?

Rich, I think you should get back out there and look into this in great detail!!! :biggrin2:

Greg

Thales

Colossal Squid
Staff member
I agree Greg!

There are a lot of T. mimicus videos out there, and this is the first one to show the jawfish which is another reason we called it opportunistic mimicry. My understanding is that most jawfish will move from time to time to new shelters, but I will look into it this week - as well as the 'territory' issues.

Hmmm, write a grant that sends me to Lembeh....?

Latest Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acorn kid

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak