• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Mimic or Wunderpus?

thanks D. I Thought I would keep this post going by letting you know that somehow I ended up with another wonderpus. This one is a rescue. Some one purchased it and put it in a reef with fish and stinging corals. It spent 3 days getting beet up. He/she is about 2/3rds the size of Corki and I put him in a 55g with a fine sand bed. He eat right away and the found a spot and dug a hole in the sand between 2 barnacles. I got him yesterday at about 3pm and he has been all over the tank and seems much happier then corki did. More interactive with me and not showing the web on the arms as a defense like Corki did the first week. I think he is younger then Corki was. He came to me from one of my reef clubs members friends and since my reef club all know about my history of keeping octopus I got a private message about him. I have not posted or told anyone about keeping wonderpus because I didnt want anyone to think or want one. I dont know where he came from as far as the LFS or a supplier so I dont know how to stop them or at least educate them to stop these octos from showing up.

I will journal here and name him/her in a couple weeks. i will post some pics so i can find out if its a him or her. She is missing a couple arms so not sure on sex.

The new wonderpus is doing well and acts much more like what I have read about. Corki never spent a couple hours out in the morning then again lat afternoon Like the new one does. Also I am very pleased to see him using the same hole in the sand he dug the first day. Also very pleased that the hole is in plain sight. He is eating silverside pieces and Pieces shrimp. Never eats the hole thing but does eat sever times a day. Seems very happy and never opens up the webbing in a defense and eats out of my hands. There is a personality difference between the 2. I had mentioned that Corki seemed not to be as smart as other octos and I would still stand by this but the new one does seem much more interactive with me

Update on wonderpus. The third arm is short but looks to have been cut. Its been 2 weeks so wonderpus gets the name Baby. "not sure why but wife picked her up and brought her to me at the shop and said here is your baby so the name stuck" She "I think" is doing well still out for 3 or so hours in the AM and 3 hours in the PM. Very different from Corki, Spends her time on the front glass where Corki spent her time on the back glass. She is much more interactive with me and will play tag a little with me like Tranny does. If I move to fast wile in the tank she will blow up the webbing to look big but for the most part she stays small. If you think an Obriareus have a long arm to mantle difference then look close at a macropus. the ratio is about 1" mantle and 10"to12" arms. I know there life span in captivity is short but so far so good. Baby does not curl the ends of her arms the way that Corki did. All of this makes me think Baby is a younger wonderpus. She does not always use the hole in the sand. There seems to be a pattern of using the hole at night and then just hiding in the rocks for the middle of the day. Like it takes to much work to burrow in to her hole in the sand for the 5 or so hours in the middle of the day but every morning she is in the burrow.

CaptFish said:
You bought another one!!! Great. :frown:
Dave,
With all the site changes you may have missed his June 8th post on this one. We don't seem to have a numbered link ATM but scroll down the thread for the circumstances.

captfish. I hear what your saying. I did not buy this one. I got it through my reef club. I would not buy one!!!!!. I feel the same as everyone else about this issue. I should not have posted about it accept for the fact I want to help everyone learn about them. The last thing I want to do is piss anyone off. When I got the first one I didnt even want to post about it. I wish I could find out where it came from and do something about it. If I did not take it it would have been dead in a day or 2. But as I said I understand how you feel and agree. I am not proud of having Her and I do not display her

Well even though There are several people on Tonmo unhappy about baby, I wanted to post updates. Baby is doing very very well. Its been 32 days and she eats well and is interactive with me and his new friend. Yes I said friend. I ended up with A sand sifting goby. No I did not buy it. A friend had got the goby to clean his sand which he did a good job of but then he started digging holes and his rock work fell so it was time for him to go. So I thought since i had a little brown algee on my sand I would put him in there to clean up the sand and when Baby was tired of him being there or hungry she would kill and eat him. Natural I thought. Well its been 11 days and they work together. The goby digs holes and Baby uses them as dens or waits till a grass shrimp goes in the hole and she will catch the shrimp in the hole. She shows no interest in the goby and the goby is not afraid of the octopus. I wouldnt believe this if I had not seen it. I will try to post a video of this if the site will let me.

Please continue to post about the apparent interaction but keep the, "It works until it doesn't" thought in mind. I am usually very strongly against any fish in with a octopus but a sand sifting animal may offer a clean up crew that might not harm the octopus (my biggest concern both for nipping and because mostl "fish" commercially available have been exposed to copper).

Thanks D. I think the "works till it doesnt" is spot on and thats what I thought would happen. I have seen Baby touch the goby with no concern. I did not think about the copper thing. When my LFS opens today I am going to call him and see. I know where the goby came from. I expected for Baby to eat the goby or at least kill it. Everyday I get to the shop I am amazed the goby is still alive and would not be shocked to find the goby dead. The goby does not nip at Baby and could care less. For the time being they have kind of a symbiotic relationship. The goby digs a hole and baby dens in that hole or at least checks the hole out. I am very happy that Baby is doing so well for so long. I did not expect for her to live this long. The arm that was missing is starting to grow back.

When you check with your LFS, also remember that it was collected and purchased wholesale. Without a hand collection the chances of copper treatment are extremely high as it is used to keep mortality low (and works for fish, and is why it exists) but inverts are another story.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back