• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Mimic or Wunderpus?

Thales I apologize I had not read that. I have read the other 2 articles that you wrote about Fontanelle. This one gives more info about your setup and parameters. Did you see growth in the time you had Fontanelle?. I am hoping Corki is not full grown.
Well she is done eating and I can see that feeding silversides might be an issue. What she did not eat is a mess LOL not that I care but there will be a lot of water changes if I keep feeding them to her. She sure seems happy after eating.
Thales did you offer toys as we do with other octos?

Update Corki is doing well. he is eating but just small amounts. Yesterday he stayed out all day. this made me nervous but he eat about half of a piece of shrimp. Today he was out all morning but now at 1pm he is back in his den with is under a rock like all the other octos I have had. He was spending a lot of time at the top and sticking his arms above the water. I resealed the tank better to make sure there would be no escape. Latter today i will do a watter change. I cant believe how outgoing she is. Not afraid and seems to like putting on a show. This may mean the end is near but I dont know. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

I always assume the first two weeks will show a very different behavior than what you can expect afterwards. With other species, initial time out is often excessive but the reports on this species varies widely and longevity has not been encouraging. Eating well can't be considered negative and half a shrimp would seem about right (guessing only by petite size, I have not kept one). Our larger Caribbeans eat a lot more than most of the other species that we see but even they have very individual food consumption quantities.

I know D but its very strange but great all at the same time. I love seeing her out so much but it scares me thinking that she is close to the end and thats why she is so bold.
Well i may have screwed up. I got about 30 grass shrimp and with out thinking about it I put them all in her tank. well she eat about 6 then she is not happy about all these shrimp in her tank. she is sitting on top or the rocks curled up and when the shrimp come close she swishes them away with an arm. Just like we would with a fly. So now I have to catch 20 or so shrimp.

The first time (I have only had a couple of experiences) I saw an octopus in situ, the reason it was spotted (by a friend) was because a wrasse was pestering it. My friend did not initially see the octopus but kept watching the fish until it was clear what was taking its interest. From aquarist accounts and even observations with the serpent stars I keep in the tanks, I think the pestering is common. My assumption is that they are looking for food scraps but in the case of shrimp, they may even be interested in the slime coat that protects their skin or it may be that in groups they pester things that would eat them as individuals. In any case, I don't keep swimming animals (you have seen my NO FISH posts :biggrin2:) in the octo tanks.

My one exception is a pair (usually reduced to one) of peppermint shrimp for aiptasia control. Peppermint shrimp in a group will attack and kill small fish (SealifeInc has witnessed this with small convicts, much like JuggleMatts video of the leather jackets attacking the octopus) so it would not be surprising if other shrimp use a similar group attack method as either a protection or a consumption strategy.

I know D didnt know what I was thinking. They have been removed and all is well. It was funny to swat at the shrimp like flies. The shrimp were not ganging up or anything like that but still she eat about 5 and then she was stuffed and she sat there just like us after a big meal fat and happy. As i netted the shrimp she could care less and just watched sitting there like queen tut on top of the rocks. I went all around here collecting shrimp and she didnt move. She is doing very well. I hope it stays this way for a long time. I asked what everyones opinion was about displaying Corki. The few people that have seen her dont understand why she is in my office and not out for everyone to see. Of course I explain the issues and most understand.

You might add that she is a very delicate animal and the stress of a lot of interest and activity may be detrimental. I have not found this to be true of the larger Caribbeans and actually think calm, constant activity is positive but we know so little about this species that I would worry about stressing it.

The large, webbed displays are used to scare off predators so once an octopus is "comfortable" in its environment, we see very little of their color or extreme contours. Full webbing is also used for hunting so we are treated to this through out if live food is present (which includes the small cope/amphi pod crustaceans in the live rock). Unlike us, they don't preen in their own reflection :wink:

Update. Corki is doing well and I have had her for 15 days so the first scare is over. Now I just want to make the month for her to be completely used to her new home. She is not as interactive as she was but this is ok and expected. Her time out changes from day to day. one day she is out all day then the next i might not see her all day. I would say that I think the intelligence level does not seem to be as high as the briareus or the volgaris that I have kept. The Merc was hard to say because of not being able to see him much and my lack of knowledge of octos. Still an incredible octo.

I remember someone else (Thales maybe but not sure) remarking that they don't seem as intelligent as some of the other species but then I call O. briareus the dumb blond of the octo world (arguably one of the most stunning when in full display but not so much upstairs):roll:

I know what you mean about the O.briareus because of the lack of sight but I think the Wonderpus seems to be even less. It might be just the way she carries herself. Tranny is inquisitive and interested in me. Corki could care less and it seems there is no reason or rime for her movements. she kind of dances back and forth like a child with down syndrome swaying back and forth. Not all the time. I guess the best way to describe her is not as much fun as my other octos.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back