Mimic octopuses

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
yeah, they probably wont ever do their mimicing; its like bluerings- the only way you "get to see the pretty colors" are by agitating something that could kill you with a nibble

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
Exactly, no mimicry has been seen in captivity - if indeed they really mimic anything at all in the wild too? (thats another story LOL)

daddysquoc

Wonderpus
Registered
well, ive seen some pitures of a side-by-side comparative between a mimc doing some pose, and a lionfish, a seasnake, and a flounder. they were pretty convincing to me

Tintenfisch

Architeuthis
Staff member
One has to be a bit careful in claiming that actions of one wild animal intentionally mimic those of another - there's a bit of discussion in Jay Hemdal's article here, and also over on this thread.

cthulhu77

TONMO Supporter
Registered
"it's standing up, it must be trying to be a lionfish!"
"It's laying down, it must be trying to be a stingray!"

Ooooff. This stuff just slays me.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
As much as I am convinced (from other animals) that different species learn from each other, I have seen my Mercs take most of the supposed "mimic" poses and they have never seen any of the things that are supposed to be mimiced.

When I touch the glass Kalypso reaches out with two arms. One arm coming at me and one arm going another direction. Looks much like the supposed "banded sea snake" the mimic does, only she's blue/green so she doesn't have the advantage of being black and white banded like the sea snake.

Colin

TONMO Supporter
Registered
...and might not have the other added bonus or being poisonous or venomous