• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Mimic had Babies!

xsamx

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
Yep!
All started about 4 weeks ago when she baracaded herself in a huge piece or LR. Pulled all the empty shells and lose rock in to close off any holes... I couldnt see her. Well, i knew what was in store.
I just waited it out until yesterday.

I have a ton of babies. I removed as many as i could and placed them in a smaller tank.

Anyone want one in a few weeks?

It's unusual that your mimic lived long enough to have babies?

How large are the babies? I believe they are planktonic but can't find out for sure.

It's very difficult to raise octo babies - what do you have to feed them with?

Earlier a mimic had laid eggs and at that time I contacted the NRCC to see if they would take some eggs or hatchlings - they might be your best bet for trying to raise them. If you're interested, PM me and I'll give you the number.

Nancy

I think this is the first set of babies from a mimic or wonderpus we've seen reported here-- I'm sure there is a lot of interest in the details, and it will be a valuable thread for future people to look at. I believe these animals have not been studied much, so I don't know if even researchers have cultured them in captivity (although they may have)... I don't even know if they are large or small egged. If it turns out that they are easier than most octos to raise, perhaps aquaculture is a possibility, since because of the lack of research on them, a lot of us are concerned that the collection in the wild may be having a big impact on them, so if there were captive-bred animals available, it would be great to be able to point folks in that direction.

There are a lot of threads about raising other species, with varying degrees of success... although there is a lot of experience you could read, raising octos from eggs is known to be very difficult. Good luck, and please keep us informed!

Wow...This is quite amazing. You sound very sure that you will be able to raise them. What are you plans? Have you had octopuses before? And any pics?

Carol

aximbigfan said:
why do you even have a mimic in the first place? :mad:

chris

Hey, don't be too quick to judge. xsamx may not have known that there was any controversy about mimics when s/he bought the octo, so lets help him/her give the babies the best chance possible.

Although there are a lot of reasons why a trade in these animals may be bad for them, the only way to have an impact on their being collected and showing up in LFSes is to have the LFSes and the distributors refuse to buy them from the collectors. Being mad at random people who buy them isn't too helpful unless there's a grassroots movement to boycott them.

And if it turns out that these babies can be raised, perhaps that could be a start for tank-bred mimics displacing some of the collection that we want to prevent!

By the way, xsamx, are you sure that this is a mimic rather than a wunderpus? They are often confused, as the look very similar, but the wunderpus is a somewhat smaller. Frequently, dealers don't distinguish, and often invent names like "zebra octopus." Did you buy her at your local fish store? How long have you had her?

Mimics have small eggs, the first ones I can remember were laid by an octo kept in 2001. The chances of raising the hatchlings successfully in a home aquarium are extremely low, and it's only my "never say never" attitude that keeps me from saying they have (a far more realistic) zero chance of survival.

mucktopus said:
Mimics have small eggs, the first ones I can remember were laid by an octo kept in 2001. The chances of raising the hatchlings successfully in a home aquarium are extremely low, and it's only my "never say never" attitude that keeps me from saying they have (a far more realistic) zero chance of survival.

I agree, but if there is ever a instance to try the hardest - this is it.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back