Mike deGruy: Hooked By an Octopus - Huffington Post (blog)

octobot

Robotic Staff
Staff member
Robotic Staff
Great talk but if I am seeing things correctly, he talks about being in Australia and filming octopus behavior and then shows video from Hawaii. Somebody correct me if I am wrong but isn't that a cyanea that they are up close and personal with?

I'll respond to this one. You are correct, that is O. cyanea, an indo-Pacific Octopus that I filmed on One Tree Island in Australia. Note the corals, Acropora, etc, which do not live in Hawaii. However, the O cyanea we filmed in the aquarium, where I peer at the beak in action, was in Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, but all the reef stuff was shot in Australia.
Glad you enjoyed the talk, I sure enjoyed the cruise with TED and Mission Blue and giving the talk.
MdeG

mvdegruy;153975 said:
I'll respond to this one. You are correct, that is O. cyanea, an indo-Pacific Octopus that I filmed on One Tree Island in Australia. Note the corals, Acropora, etc, which do not live in Hawaii. However, the O cyanea we filmed in the aquarium, where I peer at the beak in action, was in Kaneohe Bay, Oahu, but all the reef stuff was shot in Australia.
Glad you enjoyed the talk, I sure enjoyed the cruise with TED and Mission Blue and giving the talk.
MdeG

WOW! :welcome: to TONMO. I find your work fascinating and inspirational. Thanks for posting. And again Welcome!

Mike,
Thanks for the correction. I did not realize O.cyanea lived as far south as Australia :oops: but appreciate you confirming my ID (still working at learning to identify the commons and where they are found). Most importantly, thanks for taking an interest in making the correction.

Thank you for your warm welcome everybody. I will certainly check in from time to time, you have a wonderful site, but, then again, how can you lose with cephalopods?!!

Mike,

Thanks for coming to the site!

I enjoyed your talk and have been a fan ever since I bought Incredible Suckers some years ago. Looking forward to your future work!

Nancy

This just seems unreal. With all the piloting he has done with experimental subs to die in a helicopter accident. In spite of his popularity and schedule, in addition to the site post he took the time to answer a personal request I made as a simple admirer, not a lot of people would do that and it added to my positive thoughts about him personally as well as the work he did photographing and speaking for the ocean. This is a sad day.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back