Migration, breathing, and heartbeat.

Bingo

Pygmy Octopus
Registered
I would just like to ask a few questions from the experts :grad: here.

Firstly; How long can the average ceph survive out of the water? :oops:

Next; Do any of them migrate? :boat: If so, which ones, where and how? :confused:

Last and most difficult; Whats the average heart beat rate of a ceph? :heart:

Thanks guys :notworth:

Hmmm.
number one: Had a pygmy octo go about 80 plus feet from a tank to the outside sidewalk prior to expiration...must have taken at least 20 minutes. So, for pygmy octos, less than twenty minutes...
seriously, I have seen them crawl around on the exposed reef out of the water for periods of five to ten minutes, going from tide pool to tide pool and eating the goodies...they are the only octos I have worked with, so I am not sure about the larger species.
number two: if you want to discuss migration, just look at the Humbolt squids massive move to Canada !!!! (there are quite a few threads here about it...)
Number three: the scientific branch should have that info...I am sure they will post soon !
greg

Yeah, that was my little male O. digueti...little bugger got out of the tank, underneath the front door (closed!) and down the entry, across the driveway, and onto the sidewalk...IN JULY ! :shock:
He must have been very frightened of the female !!!!

our P. cordiformis can go a couple of hours out of water, but this is a BIG species.

Migrations? many squid do, the Humbolt being the most famous (infamous???). And certainly diurnal migrations appear to be common.

Heart rate.........er which heart? They have 3! I certainly don't know.......Steve & co any ideas????? D'you think there would be a difference in heart rate between the branchial and systemic hearts???????

J

Hi :biggrin2:

Regarding your last question:

"... The relative low blood volume (ca 5%) and low oxygen carrying capacity of the blood (< 5vol%) require the cephalopod hearts, particulary in the active decapods, to pump blood at rates that are likely higher than in any other invertebrate group, and may approach those of a human athlete" (O'Dor and Shadwick 1989 cited by Shadwick 1994 in "Physiology of cephalopod molluscs").

D'you think there would be a difference in heart rate between the branchial and systemic hearts???????

Hmm, I don't think that's the case. Different beating frequencies for branchial hearts and systemic heart would cause a blood-jam somewhere in the system, wouldn't it?

TK

Thanks for the very useful info guys. So your saying that the bigger the ceph, the longer it can stay out of the water? And that some heart rates go up to that of a human athelete? That would be about 200 per min?

Thanks for looking into that TK; this is NOT my area of expertise! As we say in the 'welcome' post, there are many areas where we will have to seek counsel from others in the cephalopod community, and this is a fine example. I didn't have time to research this question, so really appreciate your input.
Steve

Did another search regarding the third question:

For the octo-fans among us :biggrin2::
The frequency of the systemic heart of Octopus dofleini (unanethetized, unreastrained) varied between 8–18 beats/min at a water temperature of 7–9°C. The heart sometimes showed great acceleration during exercise.

(copy-pasted from: Kjell Johansen and Arthur W. Martin, Circulation in the cephalopod Octopus dofleini, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Volume 5, Issue 3 , March 1962, Pages 161-164)

And for the squid-fans among us :biggrin2::
Blood pressure and heart rates were measured in unrestrained Loligo pealei. At minimal activity levels systolic and diastolic pressures in the anterior aorta were 7.18 and 2.72 kPa respectively and heart rates were 102 beats per minute.

(copy-pasted from: George B. Bourne, Blood pressure in the squid Loligo pealei, Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Physiology, Volume 72, Issue 1 , 1982, Pages 23-27)

So with 102 bpm at rest 200 bpm in active squid are not too unimaginable...

TK

Im reading Jacues Caustou (poor spellin i know, hanvt time to check!!) book on octopus at the mo, and although many thoughts are quite primative they witnessed and noted that octo's migrate to deeper water in stormy (especially winter) weather thinking possibly to do with the additional current.

They noted that when this migration occurs not all undertook it and what seemed like the stonger would remain behind.

Also the GPo's they beleived to breed in deeper waters, that was a girl who studied octo's in seatle bay who made that point.

Well sorry for the flash in the pan sketchyness but better than nothin!!! :biggrin2:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back