Michael's bimac adventures

marineboy

Wonderpus
Registered
Hey All!

I got a response from all of you like no other when I talked about catching bimac's all the time, so I decided to start this thread so I can keep you updated on all the bimac's I see. I have good pics to and am hoping to get more and more as the thread go's so enjoy and ask as many questions as you like!

0836980-R1-035-16-0001.jpg

0836980-R1-035-16.jpg

0836980-R1-033-15-0001.jpg

0836980-R1-033-15.jpg

0836980-R1-031-14.jpg

0836980-R1-025-11.jpg

0836980-R1-023-10.jpg

0836980-R1-021-9.jpg

0836980-R1-015-6.jpg

0836980-R1-013-5.jpg

0836980-R1-011-4.jpg

Looks like some great bimacs!

Do you keep a log of the date and size for each bimac you find? It might be very helpful for others in the San Diego area who want to collect.

Dan

I am starting to record them like you said but when I was catching these guys and many others I was only there to experience. But now that I have near-perfected my catching skills I am going to start a log. Unfortunately I have no knowledge of people tagging octopus without spending loads of money on expensive gear, so I am refrained from that area of study.

I wouldn't worry about getting real specific measurements unless you really want to. You can compare the mantle to an olive or a golf-ball, etc. If anyone chooses to collect their own bimac, they would really appreciate having a little guide to where the best spots are, the best strategies to use to find them, and what sizes you can expect to find at different times of the year.

Dan

Excellent idea! I enjoyed seeing all the bimac pics together.
What size you find during various seasons of the year would be interesting, too.

Nancy

Thats something I have recorded.

September-January: mid-size adults to full grown adults with mantle lengths of about 2 inches+ until late december and january when you can get off and on younglings

Febuary-August: lil' guys. Prime season for baby bimacs to teenagers. If your a collector, these months are when ya score but your going to have to dive for them because low tides range from 2am-5am.

ok, another evening dive today but to no avail bimac-wise.

I did get to see a striking nudibranch though and almost got it to shore but a wave knocked it off my hand. Really wanted it for the tank but the ocean wanted it back. It was a lightning purple with fire red 'hairs' on its back. very pretty.

I was rewarded with a small brittle star though that DID make it to shore and is now happily buried in the sand of my tank.

hm...sharks are pretty neat. I used to release bamboo sharks into the local harbor. Hardy creatures, saw one survive for 4 hours on dry land, cheap too, at around 2 dollars for a 1.5 foot long one. (Tail takes around 40-50 percent of the length though.

we get small leopard sharks and sand sharks around here. there interesting but there big enough for an adult bimac to eat so there not top of the reef.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back