• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

Michael's bimac adventures

marineboy

Wonderpus
Registered
ok, another evening dive today but to no avail bimac-wise.

I did get to see a striking nudibranch though and almost got it to shore but a wave knocked it off my hand. Really wanted it for the tank but the ocean wanted it back. It was a lightning purple with fire red 'hairs' on its back. very pretty.

I was rewarded with a small brittle star though that DID make it to shore and is now happily buried in the sand of my tank.

hm...sharks are pretty neat. I used to release bamboo sharks into the local harbor. Hardy creatures, saw one survive for 4 hours on dry land, cheap too, at around 2 dollars for a 1.5 foot long one. (Tail takes around 40-50 percent of the length though.

marineboy

Wonderpus
Registered
we get small leopard sharks and sand sharks around here. there interesting but there big enough for an adult bimac to eat so there not top of the reef.

bamboo sharks are like leopards in siza and shape, although they never grow to be as large. (Our top of the food chain in the water happens to the occasional/seasonal sharks, which happen to be white tips, black tips and I've heard of a tiger shark back in my father's days.

marineboy

Wonderpus
Registered
No I don't scuba dive, just snorkel.

Anyway, I am hitting the first low tide of the fall on thursday september 8th. If I find any octo's ill tell you guys and see if I can't send somebody one that needs one.

I am so excited to hopefully see some octo's!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak