• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Mesh Screen Specifications

Hello,
I’m in the process of building an octopus aquarium... and am still unsure about securing the overflow/plumbing.

I’ve read about mesh, under a sponge filter...

How big should the openings in the mesh be (in mm for example)?

I was thinking: something fine enough to secure a juvenile...
but as big as possible, to let let my sump do its job.

I use a very course filtration made similar to a sponge but is not absorbent. I can't seem to find a source for what I have been using but recently bought a length of Gutter Stuff for this purpose. I do not put mesh over the filter.

EDIT: Gutterstuff contains a germicide and should not be used in an aquarium

Last edited:
Ok then: so that’s what I’ll use for the plumbing. Thank you.

&

Hey DWhatley, while I’ve got you... I’ve been wanting to ask you a bunch of questions:

I saw in one of your videos...

...that algae wall.
I really like the way it looks ...and it seems like a good bio-filter and oxygen source (even if the power cut out, right?).

-Did it work out... is it something you would recommend?
-How did you get it to grow like that, and not on the rocks??

Also... I noticed you have a pipe coming down, from above (upper left hand corner, second half of video).
What is that, and why did you choose to set it up that way?

Hair algae, not recommended. It looks great until it starts attaching to the rock work and then it is a real challenge to contain. I now scrape the back of that wall.

Ask away. Hopefully other keepers will add to any of my responses.

The pipe in the upper left is a return from the sump. There is one on each side of the 4' tank and they are powered by a SCWD so the flow alternates in an attempt to get better water movement. I still need at least one Koralia at the base of the rocks (the overflow is on the far right - this is an old custom all in one tank modified to include a sump).

Here is a link to my ceph album page (clicking on the image will give you a link to the journal which includes videos of the animal), I need to update it as it is several years out of date but there is a selection of animals there that may be helpful as you look for species and then use our search feature in the Journals forum to find other stories about a species of interest.

D,

I was wondering: how do you secure the koralia, to keep your octopuses from reaching inside?

I’m still feeling pretty unsure about what size hole an octopus (wild caught briareus for example) can get through...

I always see “anything their beak can fit through” ...but I can’t figure out how big an octopus’ beak is (in relation to its body).

Sorry, I have addressed these GOOD questions so often I forget that new keepers don't find the information redundant and need the references.

I was wondering: how do you secure the koralia, to keep your octopuses from reaching inside?
I put the Koralia in a ZIPPERED (don't use a tie closure) mesh media bag. Often I use one that has a broken zipper - this still works well as long as the Koralia is covered.

I always see “anything their beak can fit through” ...but I can’t figure out how big an octopus’ beak is (in relation to its body).
The beak is about the same size as the eye so often you will see me reference the eye in stead.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back