Merkury - O.briareus

I'll try

they are not in the easiest place, and I'm loathe to move the structures they are underneath just to get at them.

If you can get your fingers to them, you should feel something like a thin woody stick attached to the casings. It is not something you would expect an octopus to be able to make and the eggs casings are quite firmly attached (at least until they deteriorate).

Hmm

She knocked the egg things down while grabbing for a clam strip. I can't find them anywhere. But she came out of her den after that and swam around for a few minutes and took two more pieces of food.

This is a good sign.:mrgreen:

As I remember, Leggs acted similarly and would eat and be out some after her false brood but was not as interactive as before. I seem to recall she lived quite a bit longer and CaptFish was never quite sure if she actually laid eggs. Dave?

Same behavior

She was out on the glass last night and took two pieces of clam from my hand, but this morning, it looked like she had only eaten one of them. I put a black mollie in the tank to entice her with it's shimmying. Lol!

Oh, good point.

I never thought of that. Hopefully this one was okay, because I don't see it anywhere. Most likely already been eaten. :shock:

Avoid all fish store fish. If the store does not treat them with copper, the wholesaler does. If you can find some brackish water (I have tried Sailfins from Paul Sachs) animals that are from the collector and can inquire about copper use, there is no harm in feeding fish on occassion but, when I give an odd live animal, I perfer crawfish over fish.

Update

she's still hanging in there. Taking food from her cave and pulling it back in. She comes out on the glass once every day or so just for a minute, and somtimes she moves from one cave to another.

I can see the egg things on the bottom, but can't reach them because they're too far under a rock. I may try to buy one of those twisty claw things...

Keeping my fingers crossed.

Another update

More white things. Behaviour is normal. Pictures to follow. They are stringy and not stiff when out of the tank.

My condolences. The short lives of these fascinating creatures, coupled with intelligence and regenerative powers and actual personality (like Merkury's and others here), seems to be such an odd and unfair arrangement.

Best wishes.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back