Merkury - O.briareus

Cool video of Merkury changing the color of half of her body when she comes out into the light. Afterwards, she noshes on some krill and squid. Gnarly.

Update

Been very hectic here since I last posted. Merkury is still alive and doing well. She is still living in the 46g tank and is over two feet long! I have been battling flatworms in the 90g, and am planning to switch her into that one this weekend. Wish me luck :tentacle:

Wow great news!
Transfers usually go smooth (I have done 2, O. vulgaris, I baited the container with a shrimp and O. hummelincki, I just scooped her up)
It is the anticipation that causes me anxiety. I will keep my :fingerscrossed: but don't really think you'll need it. Post your experience with the transfer, I am curious as to how it goes for you.

Please video the transfer if you can, we usually have a couple a year that need to transfer for one reason or another and it helps with the nervousness to see successful attempts.

Will do, D. I just plan on doing a slow drip with an air hose into a 4 gallon bucket. Probably over an hour or so. Do you have any other recommendations? By the way, congrats on your Staff status. Don't think you had that the last time I was here.

Thanks,
To be honest, I don't remember when Tony promoted:wink: me but I am sure it was before last October (staff notations did not used to be red so it may just show up more now). However, I have managed to recently achieve the verbosness distinction of being the only person ranked as Cthulhu :roll: (still working on the signature avitar, it does not look wicked enough).

We have recently discussed trying to give guidance on acclimation but those of us who have acclimated many (and with over 20 I am junior), there is quite a diversity. If you cruise the linked thread you will note that my method is 180 degrees from Thales' (who works for a public aquarium and has over 20 years in the hobby as well as professional interests). However, in the case where you are just transferring, if the temperatures are the same and the water parameters test the same, we would likely agree to simply moving the animal without acclimation at all. I have done this at least twice with no problems and I think it is far less stressful on the animal.

I never acclimated to new tank. El Diablo jumped out, he would have been difficult to contain. Poe Poe crawled out but not as fast.
We did take photos of El Diablo's transfer and a video but he jumped out after the photo, could not press the record button fast enough, video is just after he go into the tank. I don't know how to make a nice small link but here it is, page 11 of my journal.
http://www.tonmo.com/forums/showthread.php?20273-El-Diablo-O.-vulgaris/page11

DWhatley;171257 said:
Cerulean, I did notice that you just turned GREEN though :biggrin2:

Yes, yes. I thought it was the least I could do for the promotion of this great community. :smile:

Quick question:

I will be putting her into the 90 gallon which has about 75lbs of LR and using a canister filter rated for a 75g tank. I think with the natural filtration and the mechanica filter, I will be fine, but I really hate to put a Koralia in the tank for fear she will lose an arm or two. Do you think the water volume fortified with the canister only will be enough, or should I run some other form of oxygen creating set up?

Thanks!

Lmecher;171442 said:
Your protien skimmer should add all the oxygen you'll need.
I along with several other members use koralias in our octopus tanks and consider them the safest type to keep in the tank.

Thanks.

I ended up forgoing the use of the canister for now. She is in her new habitat with the overflow and the sump to which I added carbon and two air stones. I don't have a skimmer on this tank--but know I need to get one. I will add it soon.

Sorry D, but I did not get a chance to video as she jumped onto the carpet, inked, and pretty much made her own choices on the tank swap.
:heee:
She is safe and sound in the 90 now though and seems to be hiding out in a perfect little cave I made for her. Perhaps in a day or two, she will get used to her surroundings and come back out.

Darn, that would have been an impressive video and a good visual on what kind of container NOT to use. If you don't mind, describe what you did use for the overly exciting transfer. Also describe how you coaxed Merkury into the container and the ease or difficulty of getting him to cooperate. Just as I pointed you to journals of successful transfers, it is helpful to have info on ones that give keepers heart attacks.

I fully agree with LMecher on the Koralias. I have a video of KaySoh using the Koralia to help her shed her sucker skin and another of Cassy playing in the current when I upgraded hers to a larger unit. We don't have any scientific comments on the need for current but there are tons of reports of octopuses preferring to be near it (I have wondered if it helps their breathing but it may be something like a massage). I was please to see that the newer models have a much better cover arrangement and are a bit more difficult to get into but, as Linda mentioned, they seem to be the safest flow devices we are aware of for octopuses. I do keep mine sort of half buried in the LR and try to position them to help clean inaccessible areas.

The transfer was really not that bad.

As for equipment, I used a 4 gallon plastic bucket from Jason's Deli, and (attempted to use ) an air line tubing drip controlled by a valve.

All I had to do to get her into the bucket was pick up the live rock she was hiding in and dip it into the bucket full of tank water. She immediately started exploring the bucket and slid out the top onto the carpet. I was able to scoop her back up and place her back into the bucket where she stayed (learning) until I saw how fouled the water was and transferred her into the tank. Water parameters between the two tanks were very similar. It was trickier to get her out of the bucket than in as she was stuck to the side/bottom and I was afraid I was going to injure her with the net, so I just poured all the water out and then tipped her over the tank where she promptly slid right in.

I will turn my Koralia back on as the holes really are small now that I look at them.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back