[Octopus]: Megamind - O Mercatoris(?) Hitchhiking Octopus

OH MY GOD! I finally took a noteworthy photograph of Megamind :biggrin2: or at least compared tot he rest of the photos... I see some specks of green fluorescence on him and you can see his eye really clearly as well as reddish coloration. Anyways, here is another photo of Megamind. He's inside a 1-inch diameter plastic tube that I'd siliconed a bunch of shells and pebbles to several months ago (for fun I guess because I never used it after I made it, til now that is). He's investigating it, I added it to his tank recently.
DSC_8139.jpg

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
LOL, my hand is too shaky even in normal lighting. My tripod is my friend! Great shots in any case. These guys are hard to photograph at all and with the red lighting I use, sometimes it looks like the tank is a blood bath (would have to be my blood though, ceph blood is almost clear with a blueish tint).

Thanks DWhatley! Speaking of red lighting I'm still using my regular tank lights at their dimmest setting and i've covered 60% of the lights with black electric tape. I have LED's. I know that's not the best for them but I'm conflicted as to which type I should purchase for Megamind. How much of a difference would the red lights actually make? Is red a color they cannot perceive too well? Also I'm keeping him on a light schedule of 10am to 4pm and lights off the rest of the time. The room the tank is in is already pretty dark, the windows have blackout curtains. His tank is mainly live rock, some snails and a few glass(?) shrimp you won't find unless you spend a long while looking.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
This is a nocturnal species so it will be most active in the dark. They are also shallow water so lighting will not harm them but they need the dark to hunt. Red lights all night seem to work very well. I never bothered with a timer on my red lights (but do keep them on the daytime lights) so they were on 24/7. The red lighting it great for night viewing and they don't seem to mind it at all (I believe they can detect it but will acclimate as if in total darkness if you never have all light off). Photography, however, will pick it up and make a terrible mess of the images.