Meet the Bloop, the mysterious sound from the bottom of the Pacific Ocean

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Moderator (Staff)
Indirectly coming from the From Squid A Day blog, is io9's summary of monitored noises of the deep Pacific:

Of course, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention the preferred fanciful explanation for the Bloop. It just so happens that the origin of the Bloop noise is located in the same general part of the southern Pacific Ocean as the location H.P. Lovecraft gave in his 1928 short story The Call of Cthulhu for the underwater, extra-dimensional city of R'lyeh. The coincidence isn't that spooky - the two locations are about a thousand miles apart - but the two are close enough together that Lovecraft fans have suggested the Bloop might well be the sound of a snoozing Cthulhu.

Honestly, at this point, it seems roughly as believable as any other explanation. It's really just nice to know the oceans are still keeping at least a few seriously hardcore mysteries.

Ah the depths of the sea.. It's amazing that we know more about outer space than our own oceans... funny how we managed to land on the moon, but yet have not been able to send someone down to the bottom of the mariana trench... what would we find there? Or.. what would find US?

I attached an image (warning it's VERY tall) which really makes one realize just how massively deep our oceans can go. Amazing, almost frightening so.

Attachments

• conv_299698.jpg
    conv_299698.jpg
    535.3 KB · Views: 2,294
Jakxx;186850 said:
Ah the depths of the sea.. It's amazing that we know more about outer space than our own oceans... funny how we managed to land on the moon, but yet have not been able to send someone down to the bottom of the mariana trench... what

Apparently I missed this... Care to revise your statement?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back