• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Meet Gus - Abdopus ?

Susan Grosskopf

GPO
Registered
I came home from a family get together tonight and Gus was on the glass. I hurried and got some shrimp and held it in my hand. In a few minutes he sent a coupe of arms over to examine my fingers. When he touched me I had to remind myself not to panic, that this is not big Bob, this is little Gus. He got spooked a few seconds later and shot away. I then offered him some shrimp on a skewer and he took that right away. He is so little I can't tell if he ate any of it though.
His eyes poking up is so cute especially when they have horns on them.

Susan Grosskopf

GPO
Registered
Tonight when I got home Gus was on the front of the tank on the glass. I thawed some shrimp and gave him a piece on a skewer and he took it right away, stick and all. Because he stayed on the glass I was able to watch him actually devour it. I was surprised at the big bites he was taking and he finished it right away. He soon let go of the skewer but he is so little he just rode the skewer as it floated to the top. Then he stretched out an arm to some coral and anchored himself. I love his head bobbing!

Susan Grosskopf

GPO
Registered
Hello all. Little Gus is very cute and eating well usually 1/2 shrimp every other night. There are small crabs in the tank if he gets hungry.

After having a large octopus like Bob I made sure the tank had a few good size dens but it is funny now with LG he does not seek any size den. Generally I can find him on the glass, close to the surface of the water. If I don't see him at first I end up finding him camouflaged very well against some rock. Well, the next one will have good dens.

Susan Grosskopf

GPO
Registered
Hi all,
Little Gus has been fine until last week. He has not eaten anything I have offered since last week. He may be eating one of the many small crabs in the tank but I would not know, there is quite a collection of empty shells in there.

He seems to be getting smaller or maybe just holding his arms in closer. I am guessing this is the beginning of the end.

Susan Grosskopf

GPO
Registered
Poor Gus died tonight. He finally found a piece of concave LR that I found when I was putting the tank together last summer. It is a great den but he always preferred every other nook and cranny he could find.
I hope to find another O. Briareus like Bob. There were a lot of octopus on eBay for a while but it seems to have dried up.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Keep looking, this is an excellent time for O. briareus. You might try contacting KP Aquatics (my tiny was in their live rock). They don't openly sell octos on their web site because of the expense if it does not make shipping but do sell them locally and will ship if they know someone is looking.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Sorry to hear about Gus - but thanks for sharing him with us. He sounded (and looked) cool!

Susan Grosskopf

GPO
Registered
I am very frustrated you guys! I have emailed KP Aquatics and Tom's Carribean but I have not heard anything and I do mention I am a part on TONMO. Can anybody point me in the right direction? I would prefer a larger one like O. Brigades over a smaller one from Live Aquarian but will take any. Please help.

tonmo

Cthulhu
Staff member
Webmaster
Hmm... I heard from someone else that the market is pretty dry right now. Not sure how global that status is. @DWhatley, what do we know about availability these days?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjh1951

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak