[Octopus]: Meet Bubba - O. vulgaris

Bad news. I saw a lot of the rocks moved around the other morning and he must have hurt himself because he did not eat that night and died yesterday morning. He was getting very big. I do have a video from last weekend, maybe I'll post that. Truth be told, I was running around so much to get the blue crabs he would eat and changing the water all the time I could not enjoy him. Plus, I was worried about him getting bigger and what would I do. My connection in the Keys has another and I am thinking of getting it. I hope it would be like Bob, a briareus.

Poor Bubba. His mantle was about as big as a large orange and he was letting me pet him sometimes. We were building a relationship.
Should I take some of the sand out of the tank? That way when cleaning the water I don't have to disrupt the rocks so much. I think that's what lead him to move the rocks. Every time I cleaned the tank I would try to move some rocks to get at the sand underneath and I don't think he liked that. Plus any "cave" I had for him he had outgrown so he started to just hangout behind the rocks. Does Casper have a cave large enough for him to fit?

:cry:
I don't think the sand has much to do with Bubba moving rocks because the same behavior has been observed for most (if not all) of the other vulgaris.

That is a large snail. He would sometimes eat them so I made sure to always have a couple in there. My tank is 75 gallons. Thank you for posting the video, he was a beautiful octopus.

O. hummelincki and if you found one and don't want it I DO! It is a medium sized animal and would do very well in your 75. They are often day active, very hardy and I highly (obviously) recommend them.

I do think that is what I have now. I was lucky and my guy in Marathon had another animal. I just got him yesterday. I will start another thread as soon as I figure out what to name him. Any suggestions? I am not very name creative.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back