[Octopus]: Meet Bob - Octopus Briareus

I don't see any empty hermit crab shells in the tank. I have a nice video on my phone but I don't have the cable to download tonight. I will do it tomorrow night. He did not eat again tonight but he is active.

It doesn't look good. He is moving around a little in between hanging on the glass. His breathing is very slow. I posted 2 more videos on Facebook. The one that is 1:51 minutes is a couple of weeks ago and the one that is 2:04 is yesterday.
OMG! I just looked up and one of his arms has come off! I can't see which one because he is all curled up.

Bob died. That was fast. I expected him to live until the spring maybe. He is not breathing but his arms are still attached to the glass, even the one that came off. This sucks!! He was so pretty and so cool to watch him shimmy up and down the glass. Fooey

I am having trouble trying to view the videos in HD (probably my ISP) but I can tell he was fully grown. This species often lingers through senescence (pretty hard on the keeper) so dieing quickly may have been easier to experience.

@CaptFish has reported seeing this species throw an arm, something we know the Abdopus complex animals can do and appears to be part of other octopuses anatomy as well. However, losing an arm just before death is quite odd and having it detach while on the wall is the strangest thing I have heard in awhile (wish you had taken a photo). Do you know if it was the same arm as the one that was showing the band?

Hopefully, you will consider keeping another. If you do, I would suggest more cave area (live rock recommended) to give a totally dark place during the day.

I did take a photo of the detached arm but I have not had a chance to see if it was the same arm, he is still in the tank and all curled up and he has muscle spasms(?) for quite a while. I will take him out tonight and look at him. I was curious about the arm placement myself.

Looking back at other videos I took of him he was so little when I first got him. It is funny to see that. Wasn't he pretty in the 1:51 video? I loved kneeling on the floor at night and watch him watch the dogs play.

I am definitely going to get another one and I do have a nice piece if LR (in the 30 gallon) that is concave and makes a great den but if I put it in the 75 gallon then I will have to let it cycle again, right? So that's another 3 months?

What do you do with your octos that die? Do you bury them?

Sorry I couldn't reply sooner Susan. I am working a temporary job until the first of the year and have a crazy, crazy schedule.

If you have a garden, they make good fertilizer I am told however a certain biologist had an over abundance of very large squid carcasses to dispose of and the neighbors complained of the smell :wink: (not a problem with a single animal of this size.

Depending upon how many I have in the house, I preserve the octopuses that die in good condition. Over the years they have gone to various students, either for projects or plain curiosity. When I send them the only requirement is for a photo of their final use that I post at the end of the journal. @gjbarord mentioned wanting cephs for his classroom and I offered the group I have "in stock" (not many requests in the last couple of years) but I have not heard back from him so he may have all the octopuses he needs.

If the new LR is in your existing tank then it is already cycled. You will disturb the 30 somewhat and should probably monitor closely and do a couple of extra water changes after removal if you see any change (the substrate under the removed rock may go through a quick cycle) but generally speaking you can move a rock or two from tank to tank without any impact. If you move the rock now, you will not have any problem when a new animal arrives.

No problem, it's a crazy time of year but still good to commiserate with someone. The contact in Florida still has one for sale but I may wait a while. I would love to be able to get a Hummelincki for the 30 gallon and another O. briareus for the 75 gallon.
In the meantime, I will switch some of the LR around and and clean them up a bit. Have a good Holiday!

Hi @Susan Grosskopf,

Would probably make fine fertilizer. Should not be any issues with that. As @DWhatley mentioned, I am looking to build my cephalopod specimen collection at a new position I took teaching marine biology to high school students. It's take a little longer to go through our specimen collection and find out what is still good... What I did find was that we need more cephs! So, if I'd be happy to receive any specimens in good condition to use as a teaching resource.

@DWhatley , if you still have a stock I'm still in need. Sorry it's taken so long. You would not believe how many "things" I've gone through...

Greg

@gjbarord PM me with an address and a date when you are ready for them. I have a really, really screwy schedule until the first of the year and will have to take the box to the PO but WILL get them to you. I do have the same requirement from you as from others though :biggrin2:, I want pictures of what you do with them! I don't think I know who was who at this point but I do want to post something about how they can be useful even after death.

You might want to start a new thread for Gus and I can move the referencing posts.

Edit
Oops, I see you did start a new thread for Gus and did remove the brittle. Do you want me to move the referencing posts to that thread?

Edit
Done :biggrin2:

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back