[Octopus]: Meet Bob - Octopus Briareus

Bob was at the door to his den this am. He has been all curled up inside but maybe he is getting over whatever was wrong after moving him. I'm sure some trauma there, like I said it was not pretty.
Just before he rammed his head into the front glass he was stretched out full length and is closer to 2.5-3.0 feet. I thought how nice he looks for the first time able to lay out full length. He is eating and things in the tank are disturbed in the morning so I just have to be patient.

I have seen Bob very early in the morning both Saturday and Sunday. He was shimmering up and down the glass and met my hand. He seems calm and curious and is eating. I am so glad to see this behavior although he is still tentative when I open the tank to feed him.

I'm glad to hear things are going ok again and that he/she is calming down. By the sounds of it Bob likes your hand. Maybe it's something familiar, maybe it's something he/she relates too, maybe he/she wants to make with it and it's some form of courting behaviour. Maybe it's just wanting a friend and your hand is good company. Who knows? Keep us up to date and I hope Bob and your hand fare well.

It seems Bob comes out more when I put a light on the tank. He was used to a lot of light in the other tank so I put a light on this tank and he comes out more often now. It still amazes me how big his arms and suckers are getting and this tank has a lot more nooks and crannies to hide in.

Hi all,
Bob is doing great! He sometimes graces me with his presence for quite a long time, just swimming around and watching the dogs if we are playing and then he will hide and not eat for a few days.
A new behavior I have noticed lately is that he is not as shy or standoffish as he once was and has started approaching my hand when I am feeding him. I don't know if it is my hand or the opening in the tank he is interested in but instead of going away from me he almost aggressively comes towards me and I remove my hand. I don't know how close to me he would come and I don't want to find out. Do octo's change behavior as they get older? Bob is about 10 months old now I think.

I think the 30 gallon is almost ready again for another octo but I am sure from what I have learned from you all that it will be next spring before I find one again.

I emailed Bill Samples through ebay and he reports he has 2 octopi and they are medium to small and their mantle is about as big as a golf ball and legs about 8-10 inches long. He says they are eating well and look to be the same species that I bought from him before. You all know how lucky I have been with Bob. For my first octopus, I could not have asked for a more healthy and beautiful specimen.

Bob is not eating like usual. I am used to him eating every night and now it is every few days. Tonight will be the 3rd day that I know of that he is not eating. I offered him his usual shrimp and then some clams plus there are hermit crabs in the tank. He pushes it all away. For the most part he is acting normal and looks normal. There is a brown band around his first left arm where the webbing joins his arm. The skin is raised also but it is uniform and does not look like an injury or any inflammation but I am positive it was not there before. The water quality is good with routine changes and testing. Any thoughts?

The eating routine change does sound like the beginnings of senescence but the arm band is odd. A photo might help. Is it there all the time?

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back