• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

mdl octo philippeanes?

does anyone know what kind it might be? or has anyone ordered that one from marine depot? or what the others might be? i did order a 27 dollar one and got a adoptus. thanks

I would recommend only buying octopuses labeled small. Medium and large octopuses are likely labeled that because they are adults and you aren't going to have much time with one. If they are not an adult then they will be a species that gets too large for a typical aquarium and should be avoided.

Collectors know what octos to get. They know what there is a market for and what should be left in the ocean. While a GPO will not be collected, they will sometimes collect larger octos which is why you need to be careful ordering from a good source.

You shouldn't have to worry about that. There are some people that have gotten shipments of supposed other octos, which turned out to be blue rings but when you order online or from an LFS they will advertise that it is a blue ring.

shipposhack;120272 said:
Collectors know what octos to get. They know what there is a market for and what should be left in the ocean.

I respectfully disagree. :biggrin2: Collectors will generally collect anything the think might sell (and everything might sell), and generally don't have any info on what should be left in the ocean. If one kind of octo is good, so must others.

There are some people that have gotten shipments of supposed other octos, which turned out to be blue rings but when you order online or from an LFS they will advertise that it is a blue ring.

If they know it is a blue ring! A lot of the small players offering cephs don't seem to know what they have.

yea. that is unfortunate. the sellers im lookin at (which i found out about through you guys) seem pretty reliable. so im confident i wont end up with a super-deadly neurotoxin dispersing octopus that'll only live for a few months.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back