• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community, and birthplace of #WorldOctopusDay and #CephalopodAwarenessDays. Founded in 2000, we are a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up. You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks. Follow us on Twitter for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Maya - O. hummelincki

monty

TONMO Supporter
Staff member
Registered
dwhatley;143148 said:
She has an attitude for sure. Tonight she was partially in her den and I was looking at her and stroking the glass so she made me disappear by closing her iris. I need to go see what I can find on their eyes as it appears that their iris are like our eyelids and can be volentarily controled but I don't know if theirs only controls light or if it also is the equivalent of squinting to reshape the eye and see more detail in a smaller field.

I'm not certain in octos, but there's a paper I read about cuttles' w-shaped pupil that suggests its shape is for directional sharpening of images on the retina. Octos also have a horizontal band of sharper image-sensing cells on their retinas, so the ability to change the pupil shape as a rectangle may contribute to sharper focus on that band, maybe? Another interesting fact is that the light receptor cells in the octopus retina can adjust themselves for bright or dark conditions, so the pupil size is not the only way octos can acclimate to the light level, although pupil size is faster than the pigment adjustment in the photoreceptors.

I'm not sure if any of this helps with your question, but I've been reading a lot about ceph vision with the goal of making an article on it, so I figured I could pass on what I know...

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Thanks Monty, that goes along well with what I have seen, especially in the hummelincki. Initially, I thought Octane (and as I mention with Maya) was making us disappear but have mentioned the thought that they may be squinting or doing something equivalent to actually look at us under closer scrutiny. Fillup is doing research on octo eyesight and I mentioned the thought to him so I am hoping he will do some experimenting with his collection of live animals. It would be really nice to see you collect all your info into a paper as I don't know much about sight (theirs and only crudely about our own) .

corw314

Colossal Squid
Staff member
Welcome to Maya! Beautiful creature. I think one of mine was this species. I need to get my tank back up!!!!

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
We have seen Maya do the passing clouds display almost nightly and I finally had the camera charged and near by to get a video.
While acclimating KaySoh and when she was getting attention from my neighbors Maya decided to share in the action and made herself visible. I am not sure if she is really aware that there is another octopus across the room or even if she acknowledges that something else is getting attention but it certainly appears that she is a bit jealous. I have thought about changing her name to 'Tudy because she definitely has attitude and shows more patterning and color changes (especially to the ocellus) than I remember with Octane (OhToo did not show as many color variations). I don't remember the eyespot being as bright, change size or become completely orange/yellow with any of the others and I would think she was venomous from the brilliance she has displayed.

Attachments

• conv_294706.jpg
    conv_294706.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 107
  • conv_294707.jpg
    conv_294707.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 79
  • conv_294708.jpg
    conv_294708.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 102
  • conv_294709.jpg
    conv_294709.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 86

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Roy, Are they really O. maya?

Roy, are they actually O. maya? I am 99% laymen sure this one is hummelincki (and 100% sure from the writeup that she is not O. maya). If they are O. maya would you give some details on the actual sizing (now and in 6 months :smile:). These would seem like the perfect aquarium animal IF they are not going to get huge.

If my Maya is not full grown (and I have hope since she is showing so much spunk and extremes in patterning) I am not disappointed in the purchase but I have been interested in the O. maya ever since I first read the description.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Just ... Darn

And if this was not a family show I would make the comment in the more forceful words of my youth :sad: I may just have to change my name to Sedna.

A female with excessive appetite who collects snails and has a pissy personality followed by dragging a large rock around to use as a den covering is just something no octopus keeper wants to see. I cannot see into the den so I won't even be able to monitor the eggs but it is likely they are fertile (I never saw babies with Serendipity though). Unfortuantely, hummelincki is small egged (O. maya is a large egged species) and there is no chance of survival in an aquarium. It won't stop me from trying, of course :cry:

PS
I called Liveaquaria tonight since the species was in error. As usual, their customer service was excellent and they were willing give me a refund. However, I have asked for a credit and a recheck on Monday to see if they have any that are still in quarantine but not yet listed. I spend enough with them during the year that the credit will easily be used if no octopus becomes available but after Roy's comment, I am hoping for first notice on a true O. maya.

Attachments

• conv_294730.jpg
    conv_294730.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 83
  • conv_294731.jpg
    conv_294731.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 89

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
There is hope

After three days of staying locked up in her new den, Maya decided to come out (she would eat if I stuck a shrimp on a stick down into the den). The first day she was only out a little but each day since she has been out more and more. Tonight she came over to the front glass and grabbed at my finger (she has not been on the front glass since the day she went into the tank). She redecorated her lock-up den and changed the doorway so that she could see out and has nothing in front of the entrance (the old entrance still has the large rock she moved half way across the tank and two other pieces of coral I added and she positioned). She will visit her initial den but spends the night in the redecorated one. This afternoon she decided she needed yet another place away from home and excavated an additional cave. She has stopped collecting all the loose shells but I am still leary as my recent reading on maturation suggests that once the chemical changes start they do not stop. I have not called Live Aquaria yet to cancel my credit but I have my fingers crossed that I will be able to. This is one time I would be more than happy to have egg on my face.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Maya has been out every day now and I am keeping my fingers tightly crossed that her initial snail collecting and hibernation were an environment acclimation and not the brooding behavior I thought. She is showing far more aggression than any of my prior octopues (of any species) and I am still not comfortable that this is not prebrooding but time will tell.

Yesterday she leaped off the rock toward my fingers, held an upright pose in the open water and then flipped upside down to attack (I removed my hand just as she flipped :smile:). She was wearing a blue ring yellow color with an equally blue ring bright blue ocellus and looked about as poisonous as little octo can look. The hover and yellow coloring is the first time I have seen a reason they have been called the bumble bee octopus. Unfortunately, no pictures. (Tomorrow I am going to the local camera shop to see if I can get a part for my tripod so that I can set up the remote again).

I missed photographing another interesting sight tonight. There is a red brittle star (named Peskytoo) in her tank. We had not seen it too often before there was an octopus and I assumed it was just more recluse than Pesky (in SueNami/Kaysoh's tank) but since Maya's arrival we see it often and it forages her dens much of the time. Tonight it crawled into the den and Maya decided she did not want company and pushed Peskytoo out. The star lived up to its name though and crawled back in so Maya just moved back and let Peskytoo clean up her dinner scraps.

Maya continued showing aggressive behavior through the weekend and I did get a couple of shots and a two minute kaleidoscope of color changes video but nothing like the hover, flip and strike.

Today she showed another interesting pose that had 6 arms on the glass, body floating out into the water and two arm out in front with the tips curled and placed at a slight angle from the rest of the arms. It looked every bit like a boxing challenge. This time the camera was close but the focus button stuck and it took me too long to correct to get a good shot. She moved one of the arms back to the glass but you can see the other still in boxing formation.

We put SueNami's plastic ice cube in the tank again and this time I touched her arm with the shrimp and she grabbed the shrimp and tie. The next time I looked over at her (maybe 15 min later) we found she was at the top of the tank and holding onto the cube. She is much lighter than SueNami so it did not sink but did make me think she may need some toys. I constructed something with the ice cube and a hose barb after she went to bed so we will see if she chooses to explore it tomorrow.

I may be mistaken but I am expecting less agressiveness tomorrow based upon her behavior tonight. I will miss the displays and I really wanted to get a video of the bumble bee but will be glad if she is beginning to trust her surroundings.

Attachments

• conv_294792.jpg
    conv_294792.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 94
  • conv_294793.jpg
    conv_294793.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 106

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thomasjedlicka