• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

May be a stupid ? BUt want to know

The Pearl fish or Pen Shell Pearl fish Carapas sp. looks a bit like a freshwater knife fish. It is very pointed at the back. This enables it to easily reverse into the cucumbers . As cucumbers are entirely marine so are the pearl fish.
Candiru is a term used to describe many species of freshwater fish from South America belonging to the family of parasitic Catfish (Trichomycteridae). This includes some really nasty flesh eating species that attack fishes gills or chew holes in them and virtually eat them alive.
I could not find any scientific stuff on their nasty habits of swimming somewhere painful. But I did find out that locals wear tight fitting clothes and in some cases use a coconut shell to guard the private parts! :smile:
One other bit of trivia. Candiru are the only vertebrate parasite of man.

Jason Scott

Colin said:
I think this thread is well on the way to being the 'most off topic ever' LOLOL keep it up :smile:

Bad as that Brazilian dude had it, I doubt that he would've traded places with this unlucky -- but very gutsy -- lady:

(WARNING -- MAJOR GROSS-OUT FACTOR!)
http://www.clouseart.com/Ron/weeklyinvert/weeklyinvert.html

FYI, it was a link on Ron's site that first led me to TONMO -- and yes, he's very ceph-friendly too.

Hey Colin, is this going off on enough of a Tani-gent for you? :mrgreen:

Tani the D (no relation to Taenia the B****)

Colin said:
I think this thread is well on the way to being the 'most off topic ever' LOLOL keep it up :smile:

i dont know... i think that progressing from the idea of a well educated ceph head (would that be head²foot?) wrestling with reclusive giant molluscs to alcoholic childrens toys and plush incarnations of evil is pretty hard to beat...

off the topic

I was wondering if it is possable to kill Bristle worms, when i took down my old reef tank it was crawling with them. I got the tank outside and pressure washed it then i took all the dead corals and pressure washed them with both extreamly hot and freezeing cold water. Then i took them and set them on the black-top driveway( on a very hot and sunny day). I left to brin all the live corals and fish to a local fish store and decided to look around for a few hours (altogether about 4-5 hours gone). I got home and filled up my tank, the water was chilled. I went outside and picked up the rocks and started to place them in. The next day i seen a DEAD Bristle worm on the sand. Now about half a year later (i have not added anything to the tank other than the fish for starting the tank) im findng live Bristle worms. I find it hard to belive that anything could live though that but theys things refuse to give up.

*Thankfully i got smart and put on some heavy rubber gloves when i took down the reef tank to prevent any stings*

Anyone know of a way to kill them other than a preditor?

Freshwater will kill Bristleworms very quickly. The problem is many rocks are porous and would need extended exposure to freshwater for it to penetrate into the rock & kill the Bristleworms. Small Bristleworms seem to be able to get into impossibly small crevices.
For natural control, have a seen large Triggerfish take Bristleworms on occasion. If the inhabitants are crustacean friendly then Arrow Crabs (Stenorhynchus sp.) are natural predators of Bristleworms. Arrow Crabs are reef safe in my experience.

J.Scott

Also worth noting that there is a reason why there are so many worms and thats because of teh system itself.... IE there needs to be a lot of waste food there to support a population in the first place.

Personally i think that they are a good way of removing excess food which our cephy friends are prone to making!
Hooray for Bristle worms!

well after pressure washing the stones there was a big puddle and when i got back there were still b. worms crawling around in that puddle. I dont them other than they make rock moveing kinda scarry. And with an octo tank i dont think there is a way to get rid of them, i get the fealing that an arrow crab wont last long.

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back