• Welcome to TONMO, a community of cephalopod experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts. Established in 2000, we are the founders of TONMOCON, and birthplace of World Octopus Day and Cephalopod Awareness Days. ...You can register here, and Introduce Yourself. To rid yourself of ads and enjoy other perks, become a Supporter for just $25/year. (Now accepting bitcoin & other crypto!) ...Follow us on Twitter and YouTube for more cephy goodness.
  • Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

may be a dumb question but im going to ask anyways

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
I would think not. Puffers in general find snails tasty (which might easily transfer to octos) and the puffer has a beak of its own. They are cute friendly fish but IMO are also a fish that needs it own environment. I got a small one from Ken right after TONMOCON II (we went further south and I visited him for day - I am his webmaster - but the puffer was shipped as we were flying home, not driving) and kept it in my 140 reef tank (only other fish being a mandarin). He seemed to do well for awhile but then stopped eating and eventually died. I know they can have problems with their beaks if there is not something to keep them filed down (there are forums on how to do this with a dremel but I am not up to that task) but my guy was still pretty young and I don't think that was his problem. definitely a great fish but not a candidate for an octo pal. Also, 29 gallons is too small even for a young one.