• Welcome to TONMO, the premier cephalopod interest community. Founded in 2000, we have built a large community of experts, hobbyists and enthusiasts, some of whom come together when we host our biennial conference. To join in on the fun, sign up - it's free! You can also become a Supporter for just $50/year to remove all ads and enjoy other perks, like Site Search. Follow us on Twitter or Facebook for more cephy goodness.

[Octopus]: Maurice my octopus species??

Lov80

O. vulgaris
Registered
What I find strange about my friend Maurice is that he seems to stay about 20 hours in his rocks, caves and housing and then in the early morning he may be out for a few hours. I recently saw him outside once in the afternoon but the very most of the time he is not to be seen. Kind of strange, isn't it?

sedna

Larger Pacific Striped Octopus
Staff member
I have wondered about light slightly differently. How much and how total is their dark time? I noticed with O. mercatoris, it seemed that never giving them full darkness (always with a place to hide and red lights on at night but not ever all lights off) seemed to help with training a reasonable and observation time. It appeared that if all lights were off during part of the night, that is the time the animals would come to hunt.
I found the same with both O. mercatoris and the macropus I’ve had. The O. briareus have all seemed to be happy to become more crepuscular and less nocturnal when living in a busy upstairs tank.

sedna

Staff member
What I find strange about my friend Maurice is that he seems to stay about 20 hours in his rocks, caves and housing and then in the early morning he may be out for a few hours. I recently saw him outside once in the afternoon but the very most of the time he is not to be seen. Kind of strange, isn't it?
Are there any windows in your basement, or is all the lighting artificial? If artificial, do you have a regular “photoperiod” for the lights outside of the tank?

Lov80

O. vulgaris
Registered
There is a big celler window but that's 6 meters away. There is not extremely much light shining into. If I wanted to read in the room I had to switch on the light even at daytime. The lights are usually shut down.

sedna

Staff member
There is a big celler window but that's 6 meters away. There is not extremely much light shining into. If I wanted to read in the room I had to switch on the light even at daytime. The lights are usually shut down.
Can you set up a light on a timer in your basement, not too far from the tank- so you can simulate daytime? That might help a crepuscular animal (you have an aculeatus, right?) want to spend more time out of his den...

Lov80

O. vulgaris
Registered
Thanks for the hint.
I'm not definitely sure what kind of octopus I have since Maurice is quite grey on this main color - a somewhat bright grey. The aculeatus kinds only match to a certain degree. Again it was sold as octopus species / octopus kind unknown.

DWhatley

Kraken
Staff member
Any trace of nitrite means there is/was ammonia that is still being converted. Octopuses are very sensitive to both. I would worry that the tank is not cycled enough for the waste being produced.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkjyang

Monty Awards

TONMOCON IV (2011): Terri
TONMOCON V (2013): Jean
TONMOCON VI (2015): Taollan
TONMOCON VII (2018): ekocak