• Looking to buy a cephalopod? Check out Tomh's Cephs Forum, and this post in particular shares important info about our policies as it relates to responsible ceph-keeping.

Marineland Tank Question

gouramiguy

Hatchling
Registered
Hi, I have an empty 29 gallon Marineland/Instant Ocean starter kit and was considering getting an Octopus for it (non blue-ring that is). Anyway, my question is (if anyone is familiar with this tank) it has a showcase type lid with a built in filter and lightning unit. I know I need to add a protein skimmer - how would I do this without creating a large whole in the lid and is this lid enough to prevent an escape (my biggest concern). Thanks for any ideas - what I've read so far has been great - you guys rock!

glad you took my advise on pfish not to get a blue ring. Ha ha Im Payara619 over there.

Maybe somebody can clarify for me too, I heard that astroturf around the edges of your tank can help keep them in due to the fact they can not stick to it, is this true? I heard it somewhere and told GG about it and wasn't 100% it was true, thats why I said to try you all bc your the experts. Thanks.

you can get one that sits on the ground and the tubes go though the slots in the back of the hood i was going to do this but it was very costly so i just got rid of the top its not worth the trouble in my opinion

you can get one that sits on the ground and the tubes go though the slots in the back of the hood i was going to do this but it was very costly so i just got rid of the top its not worth the trouble in my opinion

SDRotary said:
I heard that astroturf around the edges of your tank can help keep them in due to the fact they can not stick to it, is this true? I heard it somewhere and told GG about it and wasn't 100% it was true, thats why I said to try you all bc your the experts. Thanks.

Colin said:
its true but used mainly on big tanks with big octopuses

depends on the species! our P. cordiformis (it would've been Harry I think and he had a near 3m arm spread) saw it as a kind of "red carpet" put there to aid his explorations! Silica gel was an appetiser so we laid perspex over the tank.........which he broke! He REALLY liked to explore! The only way to be sure keep an octi in, well actually there isn't one, but you can reduce the chances by sealing the tank. Ours now has heavy guage perspex doors from the top of the tank to the ceiling and all drains and inflows are sealed as well! An octi fortrss in fact!

Cheers

J

Shop Amazon

Shop Amazon
Shop Amazon; support TONMO!
Shop Amazon
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.
Back